Spring Break Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It feels like a nightmare. While your friends are heading off to Miami and New Orleans for spring break, you’re going to be stuck in ATL with a fall study abroad-drained wallet, or a thesis you’ve suddenly realized you need an extra week to work on if you have any chance of surviving this semester.

Maybe you’re lucky and you’ve got a few friends in the same boat. Or maybe everyone has peaced out and you’re looking ahead to the loneliest week ever.

In any case, a staycation in Atlanta doesn’t have to involve sitting in your room staring at the ceiling, listening to sad Adele songs, and lamenting your shattered dreams of a killer spring break.

If you’re short on ideas for study breaks and methods of killing time, here are some suggestions:

– Go out to new restaurants. Finally leave The Village hit up Flying Biscuit, the Vortex, and West Egg Café.

– Be a tourist. Chances are, you haven’t been a real Atlanta tourist since you came and toured Emory with your parents way back in high school. Take some time and visit Six Flags, Centennial Park, and the High Museum.

– Get some work done, caffeinate, and people watch. If you really are trapped here with a stack of assignments to complete, leave your lonely room and make your way to Octane, Aurora, or San Francisco Coffee Roasters for quality coffee and company.

– Explore nature. Climb Stone Mountain and watch the sunrise, have a picnic in Piedmont Park, or take a leisurely walk down Lullwater Road.

– Try MARTA. Yes, it’s slow, unreliable, and not the most direct mode of transportation ever. But it’s an experience you’ve got to have to really say you lived in ATL. And with all the free time you have, you’re not going to be in a hurry anyways, right?

– Get out of Druid Hills and the Highlands and check out all those parts of the city you’ve heard of but never actually seen. Cabbagetown, Sweet Auburn, and East Atlanta are just a few districts waiting to be explored.

Options abound in Atlanta, so there’s no reason for any Collegiette to be bored for an entire week! Enjoy your staycation!

Cassandra is a senior sociology major and sustainability minor at Emory University. She likes vegan cooking, yoga, bike rides, and photography.
Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).