Splurging: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

In college, it can be difficult to balance the funds we have—especially in Atlanta, where our weekends are often filled with cab rides into Midtown, concerts downtown, or upscale meals in the Highlands.  Even doing laundry on campus or printing readings in the library adds up. No matter what your financial situation, it is important to follow some basic principle rules when it comes to spending in college.

Here at Her Campus Emory, we’ve come to have a good grasp of what’s worth the money, what might not be, and what you should take in moderation.

SPLURGE-WORTHY
A Winter Coat. A good coat is always an extremely good investment (especially after this winter in Atlanta), and we fully support splurging on three different types: a sporty one (think Northface or a puffer), a dress coat (a black or gray pea coat or double-breasted dress coat), and a trench coat (or some other kind of rain-proof piece).  A good coat will not only be versatile and warm, but will also last several years if you stick to a more basic (less trendy) style.

A Pair of Rainboots. 
Take it from someone who once bought a pair of neon-green J.Crew rainboots for fourteen dollars and then had soaking feet two weeks later—splurge on some rain-resistant footwear! Brands like Hunter, Sperry, and Kamik are great choices.

A Good Handbag. Every girl should have one nice handbag—a medium-sized, any-shape, neutral-colored bag that works in a plethora of ways.  Upscale designers like Kate Spade and Marc Jacobs create extremely high-quality bags that are not only timeless, but durable. As much as we love our trendy cross-bodies for nights at Maggie’s and Famous, brown or black leather options from upper-middle designers are certainly worth the investment.  Just try to keep the caps on your pens and stay several feel away from any spilled liquids!

A Mattress Pad.  At Emory, we spend a minimum of two years atop the rock hard ResLife mattresses. In the crazy lifestyles we lead in college, getting a good night’s sleep is extremely important, and a strong mattress pad can make all the difference. Your health and well-being are definitely worth the extra cash!

A GPS.
  It can be hard to navigate a new city, especially with Atlanta’s many one-ways and round-abouts. These mini-computers are amazing devices that will get you from point A to point B without the hassle of refreshing your smart phone or printing out sketchy directions from Google Maps and MapQuest. Invest in a decent case and it’ll last for a long time.

No matter what you choose to splurge on, the most important rule is that you think long and hard before making your final decision. Anything can be worth the money if it is something you’ll really appreciate and get good use out of! Happy spending!

Check back soon for Her Campus Emory’s guide to saving and budgeting!

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).