Saving: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

In college, it can be difficult to balance the funds we have—especially in Atlanta, where our weekends are often filled with cab rides into Midtown, concerts downtown, or upscale meals in the Highlands.  Even doing laundry on campus or printing readings in the library adds up. No matter what your financial situation, it is important to follow some basic principle rules when it comes to spending in college.

Here at Her Campus Emory, we’ve come to have a good grasp of what’s worth the money, what might not be, and what you should take in moderation.

SAVE YOUR MONEY

Gym Memberships.
  This is a no-brainer.  Sure, the WoodPec has some serious issues with the treadmills, and if you go at the ever-popular hours (late afternoon), it can be difficult to find even an elliptical. And the gyms in apartment complexes like Gables and Highland Square don’t exactly have an entire range of body-shaping machines.  But the situation is never bad enough for a gym membership.  The WoodPec is built into our tuition, and not using it seems almost nonsensical.  Try working out earlier in the day for almost no congestion whatsoever, or rent free sports equipment for a pick-up game of basketball or racquetball. If you simply can’t muster the WoodPec or your residential gym, the charming neighborhoods of Decatur offer a great scenic running route.

Most Clothing. Given the majority of females on our campus, fashion can get pretty competitive sometimes.  In all honesty, though, clothing is where a great deal of us can—and should—spend significantly less. Fashion comes down to creativity, and what you can do with what you have. Borrowing from your besties is a fantastic way to keep your wardrobe fresh, and saving by purchasing from online consignment stores like RueLaLa.com or Forever 21 are great ideas too.  And between ResLife, SPC, and Greek Life, the free t-shirts are enough to last you for plenty of days at a time!  

Home Accessories. Items used to organize and decorate your dorm room should almost always be inexpensive and of average quality.  Plastic tubs and containers, twin sheets, a sturdy desk—all of these things can be found at places like Target and Ikea for an inexpensive price, and will last for the duration you need them. You can find black-out shades at Wal-Mart that will work just as well as any other ones. After graduating and finding your path outside of Emory, you’ll want—and be able to—upgrade to nicer furniture; but for the time being, kick back on a worn, hand-me-down couch and a ten-dollar Target rug.

Books.
We’ve all been there—the frustration of noticing that only new (compared to used) copies of the books we need are available at the Emory Bookstore.  While the used copies at our bookstore are generally on par with used prices from other venues, no one ever wants to pay full price for a textbook. The good news is that you can easily find a used copy on Amazon.com, Half.com, or Textbook.com, for starters.  It doesn’t stop there, though—Eagle Eye Bookstore next to Willy’s on North Decatur has a giant selection of used and new books for any subject you might be interested in.

Beverages of All Sorts. From bottled water to Starbucks lattes, we spend more on drinks than we actually realize.  Instead of buying bottled water, grab a Nalgene (the Emory bookstore sells a ton of different kinds) or sports bottle and fill it up in the sink or water fountain.  (Plus, you’re helping the environment!) Brew coffee in the morning and keep it in a tumbler—it’ll stay warm for as long as you’re in the mood for coffee, and you’ll save a ton of money by skipping on Starbucks, Jazzman’s, and Einstein Bros. And most importantly, watch the alcohol you drink.  Unless you’ve got a bad case of Keeping Up with the Joneses, there’s no need to splurge on high-end, brand name liquors, wines and beers—they all do the trick in the end.  Sweetwater is local and inexpensive (and we all know Natty Light), and cheap vodka will work just as well as Grey Goose (admittedly not as easily, but that’s a small sacrifice). Additionally, having a few drinks before you go out will curb the need to over-purchase at the bars and clubs.

So, stay strong and don’t give in! Be smart in your spending and you’ll find yourself with plenty of leftover money for your really important purchases!

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).