This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This summer, Mindy Kaling gave us (another) amazing gift: a limited 10 episode Four Weddings and a Funeral (Hulu TV show) based on the original movie of the same name. I’ve always been a big Mindy Kaling fan, from her days in The Office (and contrary to popular opinion, I actually love Kelly), her glorious show The Mindy Project, and her books Why Not Me? and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?. So it would be the understatement of the year to say that I was excited when the release of this show was announced. Every Wednesday from July 31, 2019 till September 11, 2019, a new episode aired on Hulu, aka I got to spend time in my bed with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and a new episode. The show’s cast is extremely diverse and includes names such as Nathalie Emmanuel, Rebecca Rittenhouse, Nikesh Patel. There was even a cameo by Andie Macdowell who starred in the original Four Weddings and a Funeral (I have not watched the movie in full but have seen bits and pieces). 

Throughout the show, my opinions of some of the characters definitely changed. I thought I favored the main character, Maya, played by Nathalie Emmanuel, but near the end, I found myself getting annoyed with her every action.

Condensed in just 10 episodes, there were exactly four weddings and one funeral (shocker), meaning there was a good amount of ~drama~ for viewers to enjoy. The show follows the romantic relationships between a group of college friends over the years, but storylines themselves were quite complex and a bit hard to simultaneously keep up with – but that didn’t make me love the show any less!

Though I haven’t personally experienced living through four weddings and a funeral, Kaling’s inclusion of pop-culture made the show super relatable. One of the characters, Zara (played by Sophia La Porta), participated in a reality TV show that was essentially Love Island. In addition, they also frequently referenced other famous romantic comedies like Love Actually

If you consider yourself a die-hard rom-com kind of gal, this show is definitely worth watching! I personally was going through a hard time this summer (break-ups suck), but the show helped by teaching me a lot about relationships. Luckily for you, you don’t have to wait for a whole week for the next episode, and can just binge all the episodes in one sitting – you know you’re going to.

I am a junior studying at Emory and majoring in Quantitative Sciences. I am from Arizona and I love traveling, writing, and exploring new cities!
Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.