Movies That Remind You of Girl Power

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

There are all kinds of movies: mafia movies, sports movies, movies where nobody thinks the guy can make it but we all know he will, and my favorite, GIRL POWER. I’m not talking about movies like Million Dollar Baby (even though I highly recommend it), where you are thinking “HELLZ YEAH” during the first half and then BAWLING your soul out during the next. I’m talking about the kind of movie where you’re at the edge of your seat, waiting to see what happens, waiting to see if the girl overpowers the limits and obstacles that society has handed her. You laugh yourself silly one second, wish you were her the next, and then re-watch it again as soon as it’s over. These are five movies ALL women should watch. If you have seen them, don’t worry! Watch them again because these movies are the definition of timeless.

1. Bend It Like Beckham

This story is like many others; it’s about going after what you love. Even with her family breathing down her neck, Jess (the main character) still kicks English butt as she fights for what she wants, playing soccer and going to Santa Clara University. A definite plus? The swoon-worthy Jonathan Rhys Meyers is the coach in the movie. Am I hearing a sizzle?

2. She’s the Man

Apparently, telling girls they can’t play soccer is a recurring theme in movies, but this movie had to be honored, because what is more fun than watching Amanda Bynes pretend to be a guy and fall in love with a very confused Channing Tatum? The answer is NOTHING, people, NOTHING. This movie taught me that you always have to fight for what you love, even if you have to go to boarding school while pretending that you’re a guy.  Here’s a tip for all pretenders, though: Don’t fall in love with your roommate; it messes with your mojo.

3. Miss Congeniality

In this movie, Sandra Bullock had goals. Not only did she get the guy, but she caught the culprit and did it while wearing a skintight skirt/dress. She is a woman who is confident in herself even when all her colleagues consider her a joke. To be honest, I’m not even going to mention the hot guy, because all of these movies have a BAD*SS girl and a hot*ss guy in common. Kudos to Sandra Bullock for running around in heels. God knows, I can barely crawl in them.

4. Legally Blonde

Last but not least, I have to talk about Legally Blonde because no girl power list is complete without it. We all have to appreciate a good story about a girl who gets into Harvard through sheer will and the power of love. It teaches us that just because no one believes you can do something doesn’t mean you can’t. We all need a little sparkle of Elle Woods (the main character) in our lives.

So, if you haven’t seen any of these movies, sit your ass down, get comfortable, turn on your TV/PC, and watch them. They literally constitute my childhood, and they are a little reminder that girl power never hurt anybody.

Honorable mentions: Center Stage, Clueless, A League of Their Own, Pretty in Pink, all of the princess movies, and much more because we can find girl power just about everywhere we look.