Making The Switch – Backpacks vs. Totes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

I finally made the switch. No, I’m not talking about updating my Blackberry to the iPhone (I still can’t find it in
me to let go of my precious BBM). I’m talking about switching my MacBook and Five Star notebooks out of my over-sized shoulder tote bag and into a backpack.

For a while I was hesitant to abandon my shoulder bag ways that I had grown so accustomed to ever since my high school days. They are cute, trendy, convenient, and a great accessory to express individual style. However after about a month of lugging my heavy tote to White Hall, the North Decatur Building, and back again, I was ready to rethink my scholastic shoulder bag strategy.

There are many fashion trends for which I will fully support the classic motto of “no pain, no gain,” just check me
out Thursday nights at Maggie’s in my sky-high Jeffery Campbells, but when they say fashion kills I don’t think the well-being of my back should be at stake.

While tote bags are great for tossing in your belongings and taking on-the-go in a trendy fashion, there are also many benefits to be gained from the switch to a backpack.

Backpacks are a better option than shoulder bags for carrying school supplies around campus because the weight of the load is more evenly distributed across your body. When carrying a backpack your strongest muscles, the back and abdominals, work to support the pack. So while you give your tired shoulders a much-needed rest, you can also give a warm hello to having to do one less set of crunches at the WoodPEC since carrying a backpack works your ab muscles.

Chiropractors and physiotherapists recommend a more traditional backpack since there are many health risks
to habitually carrying a one shoulder bag, which no healthy amount of Advil or massage therapy sessions over December break can cure.

Such as:

• Back and Neck muscles strain (to compensate for the uneven weight)
  • The development of back problems later in life is speeded
  • Poor posture
  • Distort the natural curves in the middle and lower backs, causing muscle strain and irritation to the spine    joints and the rib cage
  • Headaches and migraines
  • Neck, back, and arm pains

Making the switch from a tote bag to a backpack does not mean that you have to sacrifice personal style. While brands like Jansport and the North Face offer quality, classic backpacks – there are also many different options to switch things up in style.

For instance, Urban Outfitters has a great selection of cool, fashionable, and price-friendly backpacks to choose from:

Moto Chic, $69                      Canvas Casual, $68            Fun and Fringy, $59

Trust me, your back will thank you!