How To Succeed In Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

‘Tis the season of suits. Today a career fair, tomorrow an interview, the day after a networking night.
Everywhere you turn, Goizueta seniors and college seniors who aren’t stressed about the GRE, MCAT or LSAT, are going crazy trying to find the perfect job (or just a job in general)! The unemployment rate is up about 9% from last month, which holds unnerving implications for graduating seniors.

That being said, seniors (and all other students looking for internships) pay attention! Here’s some advice from Emory grads that can help you survive this stressful time, and some guidance on what do to once you’ve landed that awesome job.

“1. Don’t go into something you are not interested in. You need to be driven to succeed.
2. Work hard, then work harder. Make sure you make your work visible to others.
3. Think big picture and ask why. A lot.
4. Communication is an art, learn it.
5. When you do it right, efforts will turn into success.”
– Jingzhi Dai
Emory 2009 BBA Finance & Economics
Investment Banking Analyst at Jefferies & Company

“Be humble in your first job. I’ve seen recent graduates in the workplace come in a bit arrogant, and senior management takes notice of this attitude. Ask a lot of questions, seek guidance, and be f
riendly with all of your co-workers. It’s important in developing a good reputation amongst your co-workers and within your company.”
– Sherene Patel
Emory 2008, BBA O&M & Marketing
MBA Candidate at Vanderbilt

“Perception is reality. If you are a hard worker, it will show. But also, your actions outside of work will also show. Be careful of what you say and where you say it.”
– Natalie Khan
Emory 2011, BBA Accounting & Finance
Merchandise Planning Business Analyst at Target

“Find a career path you’re passionate about. Without passion for the work you do, no amount of intelligence or
training are going to make you great at your job, and no amount of money will make you want to keep doing it every day. That being said, don’t expect to start out at a job you like. Everyone has to pay their dues, especially when there are so many experienced and talented people forced to compete for entry-level jobs. A few months at a job you love are easily worth a year at a job you hate. Worst-case scenario, an unpleasant job won’t kill you and will pay your bills while you find something better.

“Also, if you can’t find a job right away, don’t panic. Stay busy and be absolutely sure there isn’t a gap on your
resume. Volunteer for a non-profit, intern for a startup, or work for a relative. Be extremely cautious about going to grad school. It’s a myth that grad school automatically lands you a better job, and it’s a fact that grad school will send you way deeper into debt than you can imagine at this point in your life. Companies are looking for experienced hires, not over-educated ones.”
– Stephen Tellis
Emory 2011, BBA Consulting & Finance
Co-founder/CEO at Brightwave

“I wish I had realized sooner that people want to support yo
u and help you succeed in your career, they are just waiting for you to reach out.  I would suggest that you seek out opportunities for both formal and informal coaching because networking and establishing a strong support system will help you advance in your career and become more successful.  Furthermore, don’t be afraid to ask questions and discuss your career goals with your mentors.  You’ll find that those who have been in your shoes can provide the best advice on how to get where you want to be. “
– Maria Persico
Emory 2009, BBA Finance
Senior Associate, Price Waterhouse Coopers

“Sometimes you don’t end up what you plan on doing, and that can be a great thing.  As a finance major
graduating in 2009, opportunities were few and far between.  The only job I applied for that was outside of the realm of finance was actually the one I ended up accepting; I’m now working for Epic Systems as a Technical Services representative.  I was wary of the position at first, as it sounded like a glorified help desk, but it turned out to be so much more.  I’ve learned a variety of new technical skills, but I’ve also been involved in project management, quality assurance, management consulting, and everything in between.  Had I known that I could provide value in this type of position when I was applying to jobs, I would have definitely considered searching for more than strictly finance jobs.  Don’t box yourself in with a label, play the entire field.  You’re a smart person to have gotten this far, and employers will see that.”
– Eric Crane
Emory 2009, BBA Finance & Consulting
Technical Services Rep at Epic Systems