Healthy Eats, Even On the Go!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Let’s be serious, it is no secret that people gain weight in college.  Between the keg stands, endless shots, late night munching, and then being too hung over to even whisper the word, “gym”, the “freshman fifteen” is no myth.  Even though alcohol consumption and nighttime snacking result in unwanted love handles and tighter jeans, many Emory students have packed schedules that don’t leave them much time to think about eating healthy.  Here are some quick and easy tips that will cut your calorie count, and help you make healthier choices when you’re in the library or on the go.

1. Morning Meal. Start your day off with a balanced breakfast.  Although many people think that skipping breakfast is saving them calories, eating breakfast within the first 40 minutes of waking up will kick start your metabolism and prevent you from over-eating later in the day.
  2. Sugar Rush.We all know that it’s tempting to just grab a quick bowl of sugary cereal when you have five minutes to get to class.  Even if you have to shuttle over from Clairmont or make the hike from Woodruff, you’ll stay fuller longer if you opt for a whole grain cereal.  The colorful cereals might be sweeter, but the carbs found in them only give you fast energy that burns off quickly.  Foods like oatmeal or other whole grains will stick to you longer.  Carbs actually give you a feeling of being tired while they are being digested!  The goal is to provide our bodies with enough energy to get through the day, not make us fall asleep in class even faster.
  3. Quick FixOh dear.  Only 15 minutes to walk from the Bio Building to White Hall and you’re starving?!  Poor planning on your part.  Keep snacks like an apple or cereal bar in your book bag.  If you do have time to run through Cox or stop at a vending machine, grab a yogurt, a piece of fruit, or a whole-grain bar.  If you are going to go for a cereal bar, make sure it has protein in it – your body will store it as energy for later on.

4. When the Clock Strikes 12
    Its finally lunch!  Not enough time to stand in the sandwich line at Cox?  Maybe the next best option is to quickly grab some fried goodies (Chick-Fil-A anyone?) or something gooey and cheesy at Pizza Hut that will satisfy your cravings during these busy times.  WRONG!  It may be tempting to grab chicken fingers and french fries but try some sushi or a premade sandwich or salad instead.  There are plenty of other options for you to choose when you are in a hurry.  Don’t allow your busy schedule to keep you from being healthy.
  5. Thirsty? So you have made it through your busy day and hopefully at his point, you have gotten some protein from a salad with chicken, lots of whole grains through your breakfast oatmeal or cereal bar, and an assortment of fruits and veggies.  You might think that you have had a completely healthy day so far, but you forgot about a key ingredient: WATER!  Drinking lots of water keeps your energy levels elevated, your skin clear (even if you are stressed) and speeds up your metabolism. Most importantly, your brain can confuse your body’s signals for food and water; often, when you think you are hungry, you are actually dehydrated.  Drinking plenty of water is a great way to keep you going until that next meal.

So, its time to stop the excuses!  There are still plenty of ways to stay healthy on those busy days.  In order to keep your mind healthy, you must also keep your body healthy.  Make time to exercise and find time for yourself.  The healthier you are, the more energy you will have to keep up with your daily schedules and busy lives.

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).