Having a Signature Scent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Do you love your Victoria’s Secret body mist? Ooh, or what about the Marc Jacobs perfume your bestie bought for you on your birthday? Aw yes, I’m sure you do… and I have no doubt that they smell wonderful. I sincerely have no doubt because I have personally gotten whiffs of those scents countless times. 

I’m lucky that I have received good advice in my life, but one piece has truly stuck with me: A woman should always have a signature drink, and a signature scent. Skipping to the second bit of that, Collegiettes, get ready to
embrace your individuality and womanhood! 

Scent is extremely important. Scent is the true first impression; people can often smell you before they even get to see the beautiful, cool, intelligent person you are. Owning a signature scent is a sacred rule of feminism that Gretchen Weiners didn’t have time to squeeze into the mere 97 minutes of running time. Knowing that, it’s time to make it count.

There are so many benefits of rocking a signature scent. Try pulling an Elle Woods and spray som

e onto your pink résumé. Before you return that worn-in Emory sweatshirt to your ex, spritz a lil’ love onto it- just to torture him over what he used tohave (you!). Hey, if you have the means, channel your inner celebrity and mass produce your own bottled fragrance to be sold exclusively at select department stores nationwide.

Coco Chanel herself said: “A woman who doesn’t wear perfume has no future.”

I encourage you to get out there and explore your own aroma originality!

Oh, and try not to smell like a baby prostitute.