Happy (and Healthy) Holidays! How to Eat Well this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s that time of year – finals around the corner and holiday parties left and right—where we tend to lose control a bit.  Well, at least when it comes to our favorite desserts and snack foods.  No fear Collegiettes, because we are here to help!

There are a variety of conflicting opinions on nutrition and how to get to your optimal weight (and stay there), while both looking good and feeling good. Lucky for us, consensuses are emerging around a few core tenets. And the good news is that most of these are easy breezy! Follow these tips if you are looking to avoid the extra pounds that the joyous season may bring.

1. Stay away from processed foods.

Why?

• Those labels full of terms that look like a foreign language are harder to figure out. There are a dozen different terms for “sugar” and none of them are good. Stay away.
  • These products are made with “nasties” to prolong shelf life.  Would you really want to put that into your body?
  • Research has shown that processed foods are packaged in a way that makes you want to eat more. Good news? It is definitely easier to get away from these sneaky foods while you’re home. Take advantage of home-cooked meals!

How?

• My simplest advice? Shop along the walls of a supermarket, avoid those aisles (yup, that includes the brownie/cookie/any-other-baking-goods section)!
  • Eat turkey breast instead of bologna; popcorn over chips, cheese before cheese dip…you get the drift.
  • If you just have to go for the junk food, go for the smallest-size bag – just enough to satisfy your craving.  After all, what are the holidays without a little bit of sweet?

2. Sorry, ladies, but sugar is your enemy.

Why?

• Sugar makes you hungry faster.
  • Sugar signals your cells to store fat rather than use it for energy.
  • Sugar is addictive – for some as much as nicotine or alcohol (sugar is a drug, what!?).

How?

• Don’t drink your calories – forget fruit juices and, more obviously, sodas.
  • Avoid products that have more than 10g of sugar per serving. Try using Stevia – a natural sweetener that is all the rage among health enthusiasts for its non-caloric, sweet goodness.
  • Because it’s the holidays, watch out for the red velvet cakes, cheesecakes, and cupcakes.  Anything with the word “cake” in it should suffice. Feel free to get out the sweatpants, sit by the fire, watch a movie, and munch for a few days around the holidays, but don’t let this type of activity consume your whole break!

3. Try Volumetrics (managing your portions).

What is it?

Dr. Barbara Rolls, a Professor of Nutritional Sciences at Penn State, has come up with a fascinating yet very simple concept that she calls Volumetrics. The “just eat less” mandate simply does not work over the long haul. According to Dr. Rolls, each of us is programmed to seek out a certain amount of food. If you like seeing your dinner plate bursting at the seams, rather than trying to put less stuff on it, learn how to create a composition that will make you satisfied without consuming ridiculous amounts of calories. Google “Volumetrics” and “food energy density” if you want to learn more!

4. Exercise daily to eat right.

Last but not least – this is an absolute must if you want to stay with a “healthy me” program and feel good! Getting your heart rate up and sweating a little is great for your body and your mind. Getting into a regimen of working out can help combat stress, maintain weight (with the correct nutrition, of course), and keep you feeling alert and happy each and every day.  And don’t forget to think water, water, water.  Water up’s the metabolism, makes you feel fuller, gets rid of all the toxins, and keeps you from retaining extra water (bloating).  Exercise + Water…what’s not to love?

It’s getting chilly outside, finals are here, and there are baked goods and other treats all around. Don’t give up on your weight loss goals just yet! If you follow the few simple tips we just learned about, you can definitely expect to look great in those holiday dresses. Who knows, maybe you can even come back to school looking slimmer after the break – who would have thought that could happen?

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).