Hair Style: Fishtail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Tired of the same old hairstyles every day? Want to spice it up a little?  Well, there’s definitely more to do to
your hair than just straighten, curl, leave down, or put up.  Try a braid, but not just any braid. How about a fishtail braid?

This style of braid is very similar to that of a French Braid. However, it only uses two separate strands instead of three. It is also known as the herringbone or fishbone braid. While this appears to be complex and intricate, it’s a very simple braid design that can be used in a wide multitude of ways. This style can be created as a side braid, a short back braid, a long back braid, or in the creation of multiple braids for a really dynamic look. The options are practically endless!

Although it seems complex, all it takes is a few simple steps:

#1.separate your hair into two sections
#2.take a thin piece from the far side of the right section and cross it over into the left section
#3.take a thin piece from the far side of the left section and cross it over into the right section
#4. repeat step 2 and 3 until you have completed the braid
#5.tie the end with an elastic
#6.adjust the braid using bobby pins and hairspray if necessary

Depending on the thickness of the sections and how tight you pull it, you can achieve many different looks with this braid.

A tight and intricate fishtail gives a polished look like Dianna Agron (left). For a bohemian vibe like Minka Kelly (right), create a loose and tousled fishtail. Shailene Woodley(middle) shows us something in between with a loose crown but neat plait. 

If you still haven’t gotten the fishtail down, check out this video for some help!