The Guy-Line: Halloween How-To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Ah Halloween. Mean Girls described it best as, “…the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” And it’s true, it seems that every time you go out for Halloween, girls (freshmen especially) are just wearing some sort of lingerie with animal ears or another form of tight, revealing clothing that just barely resembles whatever their “costume” is supposed to be. Don’t get me wrong, that is not a complaint, simply a scientific observation based on years of extensive field research…

But what if you don’t want to bare it all? Dressing like a prostitute doesn’t appeal to everyone, nor does it appeal to all guys. Of course making your outfit a little sexy can’t hurt, but a costume shouldn’t be about how close you can get to letting your boobs fall out without actually flashing the entire party. Besides, it drops to the 40’s and 50’s at night in October! Sometimes I just feel like saying, “put a shirt on! Aren’t you cold? Oh yeah look, you are…”

There are plenty of costume options that girls can use that are still “hot” without being trashy. Guys like girls that are creative; make your own costume, don’t buy it from Victoria’s Secret. Some of my favorite costumes I’ve ever seen are ones that made me laugh as soon as I saw them, not ones where the girl was basically naked.

Here are a few costume ideas to please the guys this weekend: action heros (think Cat Woman, Avengers, Dominatrix), Disney Princesses (childhood fantasy), or Princess Leia.

As long as you don’t pull a Cady Heron and literally scare everyone away, you should have no problem looking hot on Halloween.

Now don’t take this all the wrong way, it really is okay to show a little skin if you want. And hey, if you really feel like lingerie is the way to go and you feel comfortable doing it, more power to you. But for those girls who do, I’d recommend the “Walk of Shame” costume instead, it’ll just save you time the next morning…

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).