#FreshmanFears High School Reunion: How to Handle Your First College Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Imagine, strolling into that high school reunion; notably larger in the hips and knowing that you are singlehandedly responsible for blowing up your friends’ newsfeed with slutty pics. Dear gosh. The horror. 

For freshman, going home for Thanksgiving break is the first time of the year where you are almost guaranteed to see all of your old classmates. It can be pretty intimidating to see old pals out at night, or to run into the occasional frenemy at your local grocery store while manhandling the turkey.

Here are some tricks of the trade we have picked up after several years of college Thanksgiving experience.

Old Beaus – Boyfriends, whether it was a serious relationship or an over-the-summer-fling, can be the hardest to handle.  You will automatically get butterflies in your stomach and wonder if you still look as hot as you did when you rocked his world in your daisy dukes.  But, if you were thinking about backsliding, don’t. Don’t know what backsliding is? Well, it’s when you’re really desperate, whether it be from the lack of men in your life currently or your strange proclivity to remember the good ole days, and you go back to guys from your past. Now that you’re a college student, you are better than this.  Whether your pool is rather dry, or overflowing, there is hope at the end of the tunnel—just wait for it to be after Mags, not in your old zip code.

However, in the case that you do decide to trickle back to old habits (we have all done it), remind them of what they are missing.  When you see a guy from your past (quick fling or “serious” boyfriend) act cool and collected (obviously) and remind him why he wanted you in the first place.  You are awesome. I mean look at you; you’re reading Her Campus. You’re fabulous. Think of yourself as a young adult female that has grown past the high school uniform and into sophistication—never desperation.

Growin’ Up But Not Always Apart – We all know that friendships don’t always remain what they were in high school. “Why?” you may ask. Well, when you entered the wonderful world of Emory, part of you grew up.  You are on your own, super busy, and fairly independent in your decision-making.  You may have changed, and your friends probably did too.  Don’t sweat it.  You will likely be surprised at how quickly things will pick up exactly where you left off, even if you haven’t spoken since August when you all cried your eyes out like you were never going to meet again.

If things are awkward?  That can happen.  Unfortunately, not all high school friendships are meant to last.  Just stick to the generic basic questions and always remain friendly.  You do not want to be known as the girl that turned into a giant biotch at college. 

The Ever Expanding Waistline – From personal experience, I can tell you that even if personalities stay the same, most people will have changed in college, at least physically. All the college binge drinking and midnight Taco Bell runs with the guys that they thought would never catch up to them??  Wrong. You may be smiling on the inside, but things happen. Act normal and give yourself kudos for maintaining your body in the sustainable Emory bubble you currently reside in.

If you have changed, no worries, again it happens. Lucky for you, most freshmen have.  If you have put on some extra pounds, just dress in what is flattering and don’t sweat it.  Thanksgiving is the time to be thankful and eat until you cannot seem to button your pants anyways.  If it really bothers you, hit the gym as soon as you are back at school and make a point to change your diet until winter break.  Yes, there is such a thing as the freshman fifteen, but in my experience, the final fifteen is what wraps me around its finger each and every time.

So the big point is, don’t be nervous!  Every one will have the first time jitters, but the funny thing is that little has changed between now and then.  Your guy friends will still act like buttheads and high school memories will resurface and be laughed about.  Just go with the flow and eat as many home-cooked-meals as you can get your hands on.

Happy Thanksgiving. Eat up and we’ll see you back at Asbury Circle next week!

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).