An Emory Guy’s Favorite Pick Up Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Maybe things are getting steamy on top of that dangerously lofted twin XL at the frat house, or maybe he’s
playing the Southern gentleman card and walking you home after a night of grinding it up to Rihanna at which ever ATeL event Kevin Wu insisted you attend that night. Either way, you better believe some variation of it is about to sound out of that adorable stubbly face….

“Tonight was fun. We should totally do dinner sometime, I’d really like to see you again.”

Smile. Flutter Eyelashes. Mwah. Mwah. [Insert girl’s response here.]

Okay, so while the girl from the above scenario waits around for his text…(Note: Never BBM with a boy of whom you are interested in)

Let me explain why this “pick-up line” we girls may fall for is wildly effective:

1. It insinuates that he wants to see you again.
  2. It insinuates that he wants to see you again, in a non-party setting.
  3. It insinuates that he wants to see you again, in a sober context.
  4. It insinuates that he wants to see you again, and possibly pay for your Diet Coke and salad.
  5. It insinuates that he wants to see you again, and that there is a potential “we” form of relationship in the future.
  6. It insinuates that he wants to see you again, so he will most likely text you in the present future to make a plan….?

So, the following Sunday rolls around and even after an awkward brief encounter at Maggie’s Friday night, still
no text.

I’m not instructing you to totally forget this guy and completely write him off in your book, but do be aware that if you choose to hookup with him again, you may be in danger of assigning a certain “derrière” status to your name in his contact list. Yes, he could have just been busy… ALL last week… but if you do choose to spend time with him again in an after-hours setting and he again does not send a follow-up text, it might not be realistic to wait around for your invitation to Figo Pasta.

However, if amidst all the dimmed lighting, speakers blasting Avici’s “Levels,” and possibly one too many red cups, you did happen to come across an Emory boy who followed up with you about that dinner invitation…. Feel free to disregard the above cautionary tale and reel in that catch! Bon Appétit!