This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

2012 has begun, bringing on some serious changes to the fashion world. In the midst of environmental concerns, designers everywhere are embracing environmentally friendly concepts to create stunning new looks without damaging our fragile ecosystem. Using reusable materials in different ways, green fashion is starting to blossom as the “hautest” thing on the runway.

Liya Kebede, super­model, actress, activist, and brains behind the Ethiopian-made brand Lemlem, brings neon-accented cotton scarves, rubber-soled oxford shoes, and superfine Italian wool ponchos to light for the environmentally conscious woman. Her aim is “to make Lemlem appropriate year-round, especially for people who live in a colder climate.” The eco-friendly clothing is all super chic as well as helpful to the environment!

Organic cotton pieces are topping the charts of most worn eco-friendly clothing. The light and airy cotton is in higher and higher demand with production rates soaring to over 50% this year. Jonano uses a lot of organic cotton to promote their slogan “Beauty blooms where nature and urban culture collide.” SUST, by best friends Tristan Gribbin and Marion McKee, has a Californian feel to their fuss-free organic cotton garments.

Organic textiles such as bamboo, tussa silk, and tencel are also popping up in runway shows everywhere. Miami native Meadow Compton designs breezy boleros and woven bamboo dresses, combining style and sustainability in a sophisticated manner (see photo). Compton now lives in Costa Rica in tree house on an organic farm allowing for continuation of her work in eco-friendly clothing and lifestyles. Sonja den Elzen, another designer using the natural world for inspiration, drapes bolts of lyocell and soy textiles to imitating the beauty of nature’s patterns.

Biodegradable dresses are also a hit. Designers such as Allison Parris and designers at Edressme have created biodegradable dresses that appeal to the practical women searching for environmentally friendly fun. Parris uses recycled PET satin from soda bottles to line her feminine and flattering tops, while edressme stays ‘organically chic’ with a large selection of tailored dresses.

An ecochic trend to keep an eye on is “trashion.” Although it is just starting to make a wider appearance, sources say that this blossoming idea could be a huge hit in the future of fashion. The organization, Haute Trash, uses what others describe as “trash” to create unique clothing. Numerous designers contribute to the annual runway shows all over the country to educate and empower people to “reduce, reuse, and recycle.”

Whilst keeping trained eyes on the environmental decline, small designers are becoming more and more popular for their fresh takes on eco-friendly fashion. Their successes in promoting global awareness have people clambering for green fashion everywhere, even here at Emory (remember the Trashion Show earlier this year?). Unlike the drifting trends of the changing seasons, Ecochic fashion is here for the long haul.

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).