College Cooking: Ten Ways to Spice Up those Ramen Noodles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Welcome to the Cooking Column!
Has it been months since your last home-cooked meal? Do you not have time or money to go to the grocery
store? Are vending machines, fast food joints, expensive organic markets, and Cox Hall food court becoming your new “go to” dinner spots?

If there were ever a time, now is a great time to make a change and start cooking quickly, healthfully, and cheaply… with a little help from yours truly! I’ll show you how to satisfy your cravings, make a delicious meal in less time and money than takeout, and even help you slip into your smallest LBD with just a few essential tips. While cooking may seem daunting, starting out with basic and adaptable recipes will give you the confidence to pull off a great meal.

Now that we are entering holiday season, where gift-giving, pie eating, and sleeping in become even more prevalent, it is important to keep on a budget and save, save, save! For me, saving means ramen noodles night… or week. While some would wallow in the salty, strangely addictive yet not so satisfying broth, I have come up with ten fun, cheap, and tasty ways to liven up your everyday ramen!

Ramen Stir-fry.
Boil noodles as directed on package and drain the cooking water, set aside. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a
separate pan. Add 1/2 a cup of a vegetable of choice (mushrooms or broccoli work well). Cook until heated through. Add 1/4 cup of toasted peanuts, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and a couple dashes of sesame oil. Mix with noodles.

Ramen Noodle Salad.
Combine one package of broken ramen noodles with a bag of broccoli slaw mix, two chopped green onions, and a 1/3 cup of slivered almonds. Toss with a dressing of 2 tablespoons of oil, one tablespoon honey, the seasoning packet and 1/3 cup of rice wine vinegar.

Eggy Ramen Soup.
Prepare soup as directed on package, add 1 cup of broccoli (optional) to the boiling water at the same time as the noodles. When noodles are done, turn off the heat and crack one egg into the pot. Stir immediately and quickly for 30 seconds with a fork. Top with chopped scallions and sesame seeds.

Pesto Ramen.
Boil noodles (add in 1/2 cup of frozen peas to boiling water if desired), drain liquid and add pesto. Top with grilled chicken, shrimp, or even a sunny-side-up egg.

Chicken Noodles.
Heat two tablespoons of olive oil to a pan. Chop half an onion and  slice one chicken breast. Add onion and chicken to pan, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until onions are translucent. Add one teaspoon of thyme and 1/3 cup of chicken stalk, wine, or marinara sauce. Mix with one package of cooked ramen noodles.

Crispy Noodles.
Heat oven to broil. Cook ramen noodles, drain
liquid and add 1-2 tablespoons of oil, one chopped scallion, one tablespoon of sesame seeds, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Meanwhile, heat up separate pan on high until it is very hot. Dump noodle mixture into pan and do NOT stir. Immediately put in oven until noodles are browned on top. Top with chicken, shrimp, or tofu.

Greek Salad with Ramen.
Top cooked noodles with 1/2 cup of feta cheese, 1/4 cup of chopped red onion, one handful of cherry tomatoes (halved), and 1/4 cup of sliced green or black olives. Pour a mixture of 4 tablespoons olive oil, half of a lemon’s juice and salt/pepper to taste on top of salad.

Ramen Frittata.
Allow cooked ramen noodles to cool. Add 4 beaten eggs, salt/pepper, 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese, and 2 thinly
sliced green onions. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes in well greased sauce pan or until eggs are cooked through. (*include 1/2 cup of sautéed mushrooms for additional flavor and texture)

Edamame Ramen Protein Salad.
Mix 1/2 cup of shelled edamame beans, 1/2 cup of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), 1/4 cup of toasted almonds, cooked noodles, 1/2 teaspoon of dill, and salt/pepper to taste. Combine with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar or lemon juice.

Tex Mex Ramen.
Cook with one pound of ground chicken or beef with taco     seasoning mix. Combine with ramen noodles. Top with 1/4 of chopped onion and 1/4 of cheddar cheese. Serve while hot.

** Money Saving Tip: A GREAT way to use some of those Dooley Dollars- get vegetables, cheese and protein items from the Cox Hall salad bar to use wherever possible in these recipes. They also have oil, vinegar, and several dressing options that could be included.

Try these creative twists on you average Ramen Noodles to liven up your weekday meals. Remember to have fun in the kitchen and be your own chef! Many of these recipes are extremely versatile; mix and match your favorites. Check out the cooking column next week for ten delicious desserts under 150 calories!! Happy cooking!