Budgeting: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

In college, it can be difficult to balance the funds we have—especially in Atlanta, where our weekends are often filled with cab rides into Midtown, concerts downtown, or upscale meals in the Highlands.  Even doing laundry on campus or printing readings in the library adds up. No matter what your financial situation, it is important to follow some basic principle rules when it comes to spending in college.

Here at Her Campus Emory, we’ve come to have a good grasp of what’s worth the money, what might not be, and what you should take in moderation.

BUDGET ME!

Going Out.
Whether it’s a bad habit of buying drinks at bars, calling a cab three or four times a week, or paying a ten-dollar cover at a club, having a big night out can be a pretty sizeable hit to your savings.  Budgeting is easy enough, though.  Have some drinks before you go out to counteract the desire for a drink later in the evening.  Work out a sober-drive situation with your friends to avoid multiple cab rides.  And look for deals and specifics when going out—sometimes curfews and special events will lessen the amount of a cover, which can be an incredibly easy way to save a few bucks. Balancing your nights in Buckhead with some pub fries at Famous or a quick trip to see all of Emory at Maggie’s is a great way to budget, as is hanging out at the fraternities or a friend’s apartment. It isn’t the places you go, after all, but the people you’re with.

Food.
Chances are you’ve got a friend who is a food junkie—whether they enjoy cooking, the art of food itself, or the accessibility of CampusFood.com. Food, like beverages, is a place where we can easily overspend without realizing it. Dining out can be incredibly expensive, but can also be easily avoided.  If you aren’t much of a cook, there are tons of ready-made meals, both frozen and non-frozen, to enjoy; if you are, make a little more than the serving might suggest and stash the leftovers for another night.  CampusFoods.com and the Village offer some great choices, but the meals add up quickly.  And choosing to dine-in doesn’t have to mean giving up the social experience of going out to eat. Try potluck dinners and lunches instead—have everyone bring food as an “entrance fee” and enjoy munching on a variety of dishes from all your friends.  Last, and most obviously, if you are still on the meal plan, use it! Sure, Emory Dining can get pretty old pretty quickly, but they are constantly making efforts to engage their students’ tastes, and are starting to offer some pretty cool events.

Media Entertainment.
Nearly every show on television is available on the Internet within a few days after its initial airing. Try the website for the network that the show airs on (i.e. www.cwtv.com) or check out sites like Hulu or SideReel to view tons of episodes for free. Businesses like Netflix can help you save on DVDs—you can rent them endlessly, or screen a film before deciding to purchase your own DVD version of it.  Going to the movies is a fun experience, but you can save by heading to more inexpensive venues with decent student discounts, such as Movie Tavern.  Additionally, you can easily save on CDs, DVDs, video games and any other kind of home media entertainment by purchasing used copies.  Blockbuster sells DVDs in inexpensive bundles, and websites like Amazon always offer an incredible plethora of gently used versions for an inexpensive cost. 

So, there are tons of ways for you to save in college—the best way to start is to simply be conscientious!

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).