Buckles and Zippers: Functional Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Zippers and buckles both go beyond their duty as functional pieces and transcend seamlessly into chic accents. While formerly these metallic fastenings were reserved for practical purposes, fashion takes these devices to a new dimension.

By mixing hardware, such as buckles, with soft suede, it provides an unexpected contrast to your look. Sticking with one type of fastener is a simple way to merge this footwear trend into your daily look.

For the more daring fashionista, try incorporating a pair of boots that feature both zippers and buckles in order to add some serious edginess to your look. Passers-by will have no choice but to stop and stare at the major hardware on display, zippers and buckles may actually come in handy for their inevitable jaw-dropping reaction.

With the current Atlanta weather creeping down into the low 40s, there’s no excuse not to own a pair of fierce boots for this winter season. Rocking a pair of zippered and/or buckled boots will give a definite kick to your style. 

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).