This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

One of my favorite ways to welcome change into my life is to switch up the music I am listening to by creating new playlists. While we are clearly past the start of the new year, spring, to me, has always implied closing one chapter of my life and embracing a new one. When curating my playlist for this spring, I came up with a list of songs that emulate the spring and what it means to me. Whether it’s just an upbeat, feel-good song or an emotional melody, these songs remind me of spring and the new life it offers us each time it comes around. 

These recently released songs have been  added to my spring playlist this year. I have already had them on repeat as I welcome the warmth and the new beginning of spring:     

Till Forever Falls Apart – Ashe & FINNEAS

This song is the embodiment of genuine friendship or love amongst romantic partners. The collaboration is so special because Ashe and Finneas have been friends for so long. They sing about a pair sticking together until the end of time and how regardless of what life throws at them, they will always have one another to be grateful for. This is a feel-good song perfect for a sunny day spent in the company of good friends. 

Favorite lyric: “If the tide takes California /  I’m so glad I got to hold ya’”

Stay Numb and Carry On – Madison Beer 

With Life Support being my favorite album at the moment, I had to include at least one song from it on my spring playlist. In this song, Madison Beer sings about accepting the ending of something for what it is and being able to move on from it, even if you have not fully resolved the issue. To me, this song relays that when closure does not come to you, you have to create it for yourself. I think this song is so powerful and aligns with the “new-life” energy of spring. 

Favorite lyric: “Stay numb and carry on / Too young to hate someone”

Overdrive – Conan Gray

This upbeat song portrays the fun-loving nature of a new relationship. Conan Gray sings about enjoying someone’s company without the pressure of putting a label on it. The song carries a careless energy that is emulated by the introduction of warmer weather in spring. 

Favorite lyric: “All or nothing, let’s just trust tonight”

dorothea – Taylor Swift     

Taylor Swift’s evermore has been a favorite album of mine since it was released in December, but “dorothea” is a song that I am growing to appreciate more and more. The song carries a peaceful tune and recalls an old friendship with compassion. Taylor sings to “dorothea” about how life seems to have taken them in different directions but that she will always be there for her. This song takes me back to my childhood and helps me to look back fondly at past friendships with gratitude. To me, spring is like an old friend coming around and the comfort it brings to see them again. 

Favorite lyric: “If you’re ever tired of being known for who you know / You know, you’ll always know me” 

flowers (on my grave) – Lovelytheband

This upbeat, drum-driven song tells the story of a rocky relationship without a tragic tone. Lead singer, Mitchy Collins, sings about the uncertainty of how the relationship will end, but hoping it can conclude in a civil manner. With this being our second spring under Covid restrictions, this song parallels my current feelings, as I am trying to make the best out of a less than ideal situation, while accepting it for what it is. 

Favorite lyric: “Promise, you’ll leave flowers on my grave / I won’t be standing in your way”

When making a playlist, I personally like to incorporate recent releases and long-loved songs to create the combination of comfort and adventure. While these songs aren’t new, they still represent what the spring season means to me:

Forever – Haim

Boredom (feat. Rex Orange County) – Tyler The Creator 

Step – Vampire Weekend 

Reborn – KIDS SEE GHOSTS

In the Light – The Lumineers 

New Person, Same Old Mistakes – Tame Impala 

I have been loving all of these songs, old and new, for the past few weeks. Listening to them together has empowered me to close out old chapters of my life and look forward with a positive attitude to what’s to come with the changing of seasons. I definitely think they are worth a listen and maybe even a feature on a new playlist of yours. 

Link to playlist: https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/spring2021/pl.u-kv9lDA5t7k8BGmV

Ariana Yany

Emmanuel '23

Hi! I’m Ariana, a sophomore at Emmanuel College. My major is Art Therapy. I love music, art, and pretty much anything that allows for creativity. I also enjoy coffee, traveling, and shopping.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.