This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Sitting down to write an article can be incredibly daunting, especially if it’s your first time writing for Her Campus! However, once you get the hang of it, you’ll come to realize that Her Campus is a wonderful way to unleash your creativity. It’s also an amazing opportunity, because getting your work published is no small feat. When people search you up on google, they’ll be able to see a true testament to your writing skills! You can open up many doorways and build important connections with Her Campus. However, if you’re uneasy about getting started, here are some of my best tips for those new to the organization.

Write about something you’re passionate about

There is nothing worse than being forced to write about something you don’t care about. Luckily, with Her Campus, you have the freedom to write about almost anything! Writing becomes so much more fun once you find what it is you like to research and discuss in your work.

Read over your work

Reading over your writing is so important, for a number of reasons. The first time I write something I like to flesh out my ideas, and typically it’s a very rough draft. Then I go back, add more to each paragraph, fix any typos or grammatical errors, and make sure the flow of the article works. Sometimes I struggle to catch my mistakes or typos when I’m writing too quickly, so I always like to reread my work and assure there aren’t any mistakes.

Refer to the Writing Guide

The Writing Guide is an incredible resource, especially for new Her Campus writers! It gives ideas on what to write about, how to format your articles, and more! If you’re ever feeling unsure about where to start, the Writing Guide is a great first step.

Share it with your editor

Once you’ve finished your article, share it with your editor to get feedback. It’s crucial to look over edits and comments left by your editor, because this is what makes you grow as a writer. With each article you work on and get published, your writing skills are being polished to perfection!

Aine Hoye

Emmanuel '25

Aine is the editor of Emmanuel College's Her Campus chapter. She's an English major, and loves reading in her free time. HC has been a huge part of her life since her first year of college, and she's loved every minute!