Tips and Tricks on How to Thrive at School, from a College Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Starting college can be an overwhelming, exciting, and a daunting prospect. There are so many unknowns, and so many things you’re looking forward to doing. As we begin the school year this fall, I thought it would be helpful to share the things I’ve learned over the past four years that have made my college experience better, less stressful, and overall, more enjoyable. I present to you: a college seniors tips and tricks, for thriving at school!

Products to Buy

A cute water bottle!

Hydration is super important in college, whether it’s during an hours long study session, or on nights out, drinking enough water will help to keep you healthy and feeling good. Having a cute water bottle can help motivate you to stay! Brands that I recommend are a Stanley, Hydro Flask, and Owala.

A Bunch of little carts and bins!

Storage in college dorm rooms can be sparse, so having some extra bins or rollie carts can help keep you organized. I use mine to store skincare, snacks, and books! 

Note taking apps and organizational tools!

Personally, I love taking notes digitally, it makes it easier to keep all the information I need to study for exams in one place. I like to use Goodnotes for all of my classes, the cost of the newest version is $23.99, however there are many notetaking apps that are free to use for college student. Evernote is also a great option and is free to all college students, and Notion is also free for students, you can use it to take notes or use it organize your assignments for school!

Study Habits

planning out your semester ahead of time!

This has been super helpful for me. During the first week of classes take the time to put all your assignments, due dates, and class meeting for the year into your planner. This allows you to stay on top of your assignments, and plan around your school schedule.

pick one day of the week to be your ‘no study day’!

School can be extremely stressful, so it’s important to not only make time for assignments and work, but also for yourself. I like to have one day week where I don’t do any type of studying or work. This allows me to destress and focus on my hobbies, like reading, creative writing, and of course shopping!

Find out who your advisors are and schedule a meeting with them!

I know this may seeming daunting, but getting to know your academic advisor is a really great way to plan out our four years of college and start planning for after college. I like to have at least two meetings with my advisor per semester, one at the beginning and one at the end. The first meeting can be used to set goals for the semester, the second can be used to plan for next semester.

These habits and items as things that have made my college experience better, I hope there is something in this list that is helpful to you! Good luck with your fall semester!

Megan Seaver

Emmanuel '24

Hi my Name is Meg I'm a freshmen at Emmanuel College. Some things I'm interested in writing about are feminist issues, politics, and current issues around the world.