Things I Wish I Knew As A Freshman In Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Going into my sophomore year, it’s safe to say I’ve learned a lot after just living in Boston for a year. Here are a few things I wish someone had told me as a freshman. 

My first piece of advice is simply avoiding the Target on Fenway during move-in weekend. For many schools in the area, the first of September is the move-in day, so Target will be hectic and fairly picked through. If you make the mistake of forgetting something at home, try and wait a week or so to go so you can skip the wrap-around line for check out and empty shelves. 

Explore, explore, explore! Boston has something to offer for everyone, whether it’s inside or outside, expensive or cheap, there’s a wide variety of things to choose from. During the warmer months of the year, there’s Open Newbury Street, as well as several outside flea markets. If you’re not in the mood to shop, there are plenty of beautiful museums that many Boston students are able to go to free of cost. I personally enjoy going for walks along the Charles River or runs around the Emerald Necklace trail.

In hand with exploring, comes to the next thing I wish I knew last year. Conquer the T! The MBTA in Boston may seem overwhelming, but by your second or third week you’ll feel like a pro. As embarrassing as it is to admit, I would walk to places I wanted to go rather than trying to take the MBTA because I was scared to figure it out. 

Take advantage of what your school has to offer. For schools around Boston, Student9s are your best friend. You’re able to watch the Boston Red Sox play for cheap while also meeting other college students. Even if you’re not the biggest fan of baseball, I still recommend going. The social environment is something that can’t be recreated anywhere else. Many schools offer fun exercise classes such as yoga, dance, and intramural sports, that get sort of Boston-ified, and you’re able to discover all kinds of exercise-related things to do in the city. 

Boston has many gems to offer those coming here for the school year. Being in college in a large city has so many perks and it’s important to take advantage of it while you can. In order to fully do so you need to feel as comfortable and safe as can be with the environment.

Treasurer of Emmanuel College's Her Campus chapter where I oversee all the finances of the chapter. Outside of Her Campus, I am apart of the school's Chess Club and currently studying Political Science. In my free time I enjoy going to lifting and all other things exercise-related! I love going on runs with my dog and going for walks along the Charles River.