Style > Fashion

“The Virgin Suicides” Walked So the Coquette Girlies Could Run

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The Virgin Suicides (1999), directed by Sofia Coppola has somehow remained a relevant and cherished movie in the eyes of many. This definitely includes my own, as I first watched the movie as a freshman in high school, and years later it still holds the spot of my all time favorite. It was really my first experience with a movie so artfully crafted; it was clear that the cinematography was just as crucial as the characters and script. The movie is set in the 1970s, giving it a unique sense of nostalgia. What truly enchanted me however, was the vulnerable story of girlhood it told: “We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy…And how you ended up knowing which colors went together.” Despite it being such a tragic storyline, this was a film I wanted to slip into and live inside of. Coppola has a talent of filming heartbreak and tragedy with the most beautiful, inviting ambience. 

What is often so highly admired is the fashion from the film. Sofia Coppola infamously had designer Nancy Steiner pick through vintage stores to find clothing that fell into the lived-in and loved vibe she was going for. The wardrobe from the film genuinely feels like it came straight from the Lisbon sisters’ closet. Small yet crucial details are what make the world of The Virgin Suicides so easy to fall into. Chipped pink nail polish on Lux’s toes, her slightly too long flare jeans, all add so much to the film. What’s even more amazing to me is that this was Coppola’s directing debut film.

A debut film so quickly becoming a cult classic is an accomplishment on its own, but I feel that its inspiration is still affecting young adults and teenagers. The internet has always seemed to have a habit of creating very specific aesthetics for people to neatly place their personalities into. One of the most popular aesthetics as of recently is “coquette.” Although it’s very difficult to trace the roots back to any of these niche internet things, I think we see so much of this ambience and style because of The Virgin Suicides and it’s lasting effects on our culture. Hair ribbons, florals, frilly socks, vintage décor, are all making a comeback, but did they ever really leave? 

Aine Hoye

Emmanuel '25

Aine is the editor of Emmanuel College's Her Campus chapter. She's an English major, and loves reading in her free time. HC has been a huge part of her life since her first year of college, and she's loved every minute!