The Types of Relationships and Breakups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The month of February has had its ups and downs, there have been great days like my birthday, and bad days like a breakup. Throughout the past couple of weeks, I’ve analyzed all the relationships I’ve had and think that there are different types of relationships and breakups. Selfishly I feel like sometimes we go into relationships and know that it will end, that it might not be forever but great for the time being. Sometimes those relationships help us and support us during hard times, and that person was exactly what you needed at the time. Sadly deep down I knew that even though that guy was amazing he wasn’t the one for me. The breakup feels more like guilt and it’s sad because you know you’re hurting someone amazing but just because they are amazing doesn’t mean they are the one for you. 

Another type of relationship I’ve gone through is the one you knew was going to hurt and wasn’t going to end well but you jump in anyway. My experience with this type of relationship is that it sucked and it hurt but it is also an important lesson. I learned what qualities I didn’t want in a guy, what I deserved, what worked for me, and what didn’t. That relationship ended and I felt like I gained so much knowledge about myself and relationships. 

Lastly, I’ve gone through the one you didn’t think would end, but it had to. There was nothing wrong, the person was amazing but something was missing. At the beginning it felt perfect, maybe we were just what we needed at the time, or maybe we were different people when we had first met. They showed me what love is, what it was like to feel butterflies and be completely happy. Although it hurts to think about how good it was, I couldn’t ignore how it didn’t feel the same anymore. The hardest part is acknowledging that and it hurts to let go of something that was so good. 

Breakups are never easy but at the end of the day we all go through them, each relationship you have is a learning experience. Whether your relationship was toxic or amazing you can take things away from it positively and negatively. The pPositive things you can look at are that you have to spend time with amazing people, learn about them, and be lucky enough to even love them. Negative things you can take away are how they treated you if emotionally you were tired and stretching yourself thin. At the end of the day, you have to go through things to better yourself as a person so that one day when the right person comes along you’ll be ready.

Julianna Roa

Emmanuel '25

I am the event coordinator of Her Campus at Emmanuel College. I am 20 years old, Colombian and play soccer at Emmanuel. I am currently a junior with a major in Communications and a minor Marketing. I love to workout and am always working on being the best version of myself.