This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

On Monday February 22, electric pop music duo, Daft Punk, took to YouTube, sharing a video titled, “Epilogue.” Upon release, many fans suspected the video would contain an exciting announcement for a new song or album. The conclusion of the bleak visuals left fans, including myself,  in shock as the screen read “1993-2021” with an image of their hands above it, announcing their retirement from the music duo. 

The pair, most recognizable for their robotic sounds and attire, had a long, successful career. From schoolmates to global superstar-Grammy winners, Daft Punk was nothing short of successful. They have been regarded by Billboard as, “the most influential electronic act of their time” and credited by the Weeknd as one of the reasons he creates music. As Daft Punk walks away from music with the legacy they have created, there is no question of their influence on modern pop and electronic dance music. Daft Punk paved the way for other electronic producers, such as Skrillex and Zedd. They left pop artists inspired to incorporate electronic sounds into their music and were known to be a dream collab for several creators, including pop star, Madison Beer. 

Some might remember Daft Punk for their 2001 throwback, “One More Time,” 2013 hit single, “Get Lucky,” or their unexpected Album of The Year win, in which their album, Random Access Memories, beat Taylor Swift’s fan-favorite album, “Red” at the 2014 Grammy Awards. However, I’ll always remember Daft Punk as the driving force that pushed me to explore new music and gain the appreciation I have today for artists and their unique projects across all genres. 

Years ago I heard their song, “Instant Crush” and was surprised by how much I enjoyed the track. I instantly craved to hear more and fell down a rabbit hole that echoed with their music. Several years later, I still haven’t found my way out and I don’t plan to any time soon. I will remember their legacy and impact on my music taste and creativity by continuing to listen to their feel-good tracks. If you want to join me in this rabbit hole, where music brings out the best in you, here are my top 5, must listen-to tracks: 

“Digital Love” – Discovery 2001

“Emotion” – Human After All 2005

“Give Life Back to Music” – Random Access Memories 2013 

“Within” – Random Access Memories 2013 

“Instant Crush” (feat. Casablancas)- Random Access Memories 2013

While Daft Punk has written an end to their dynamic career as a pair, they leave us with a high standard and new opportunities in electronic pop music that will carry on through future generations. I am excited to discover new artists who were inspired by Daft Punk to create their own sound and stand out amongst others.

Ariana Yany

Emmanuel '23

Hi! I’m Ariana, a sophomore at Emmanuel College. My major is Art Therapy. I love music, art, and pretty much anything that allows for creativity. I also enjoy coffee, traveling, and shopping.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.