The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Your girl is known for a few things: wearing adidas, owning ten leather jackets, and having an obsession with tea. I have entire shelf in my kitchen dedicated to boxes of teas, loose leaf tea packets, cute little tea infusers, honey and about 10 mugs. I take tea very seriously.

I came out of the womb drinking tea. One of my fondest memories when I was a little girl was running outside to bring my dad his unsweetened iced black tea with lemon to him while he was doing yard work in the summer. It always made his day! And eventually it became a thing in my family, we all drank iced tea at every meal.

Coffee gives me headaches. There was a point in the fall of junior year when I was ADDICTED to having an iced soy latte every single day to my wallets dismay. Sugar and caffeine were a recipe for disaster. Working at a Starbucks that previous summer was to blame. The only thing to help me open our cafe at 5am every day was 2-3 cups of coffee. Disgusting.

I can preach all day about the benefits of tea in every form and why you should consider going cold turkey with the love of your life, Joe. So here is a breakdown of my personal favorite kinds of teas and benefits of each.

Matcha Green Tea

Taste: Grassy notes

Benefits: Unlike traditional green tea, matcha is thicker consistency since it is taking the green tea leaves and crushing them into a powder. From the leaves you are obtaining catechin called EGCG which is believed to benefit in warding off cancer cells. Matcha is also good for lowering blood pressure, cholesterol, and easing anxiety.

Caffeine Level: Low/Mid

Try: Grace Matcha Green Tea

Japanese Sencha Green Tea

Taste: Bittersweet, grassy

Benefits: Drinking Sencha tea aids in lowering the risks of cancer, boosting your metabolism which helps aid in weight loss and clearer skin, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol, boosts energy thanks to its minerals and antioxidants and the high vitamin C that’ll boost your immune system. This tea also boosts cognitive stimulation which helps you remain focused, helps keep your breath smelling fresh and is linked to reducing stress and anxiety.

Caffeine Level: Medium

Try: Harney & Sons Japanese Sencha Green Tea

Irish Breakfast Black Tea

Tastes: Citrus, Malt Spice

Benefits: Stronger than an English Breakfast black tea, this tea lowers your risk for cardiovascular diseases, strengthens the immune system, soothes sore throats, nerves and enhances relaxation, aids in blood circulation, strengthens teeth and aids in preventing cavities when consumed without sweetener.

Caffeine Level: High

Try: Twinings Irish Breakfast

Earl Grey Black Tea

Tastes: Citrus, Sweet Vanilla

Benefits: Earl Grey contains high levels of catechins that are proven to be good for your teeth, in preventing certain cancers, and reducing risks of heart disease. It also fights anxiety and depression which provides stress relief. This tea has been known to improve digestion and boosts metabolism which aids in weight loss.

Caffeine Level: High

Try: David’s Tea Organic Cream of Earl Grey

Ginger Turmeric Lemon Green Tea

Tastes: Soothing Ginger, Sweet Lemon and notes of Tart Turmeric

Benefits: Just like many green teas, this tea aids in promoting weight loss and boosting the immune system which helps clear up skin. The ginger and turmeric also help in eliminating bloating and easing upset stomachs and digestion. This tea also boosts cognitive stimulation and is proven to regulate diabetes and protecting the heart.

Caffeine Level: Low/None

Try: Numi Ginger Lemon Green Tea

Mint Herbal Tea

Tastes: Spearmint, Peppermint

Benefits: Mint tea is commonly used in aiding upset stomachs and to reduce bloating. Other benefits include improving oral health, boosting the immune system to fight against the common cold/flu, reducing fever, calming nausea, and boosting cognitive stimulation help you remain alert and focused. The herbal antioxidants also promote healthy skin and hair as well as reduces the feelings of anxiety and stress.

Caffeine Level: Low/None

Try: Bigelow Mint Medley Herbal Tea

How’s that for spilling the tea?

Jamie is a senior Communication & Media Studies major with a minor in Graphic Design at Emmanuel College in Boston. Currently she is concentrating her studies in PR and digital media. She serves as the PR Director for the HerCampus Emmanuel chapter.
Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime!