Songs to Check Out on Taylor Swift’s New Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

If you haven’t heard, Taylor Swift just dropped a new album, and it’s fantastic. Even if you’re not a big Taylor fan, I highly suggest listening to some songs if you’re looking for some new music. 

Lover is her latest album, which consists of mainly pop songs. It’s her newest album since the Reputation era, which was her darkest album mainly focused on throwing shade at her haters, but this latest album is a whole new vibe. Lover is confessional and filled with authentic love songs. Here are the songs I’d recommend if you’re looking for some jams:

If you need a mood booster: “Paper Rings” 

This song is super upbeat and happy, so if you’re looking for something to play while the windows are down in the car, this is definitely the one for you. This song also has a lot of references to marriage and weddings which a lot of Swifites think could be a hint that Taylor may be engaged. This song is fresh and hopeful if you need some positive vibes in your life. 

If you’re going through a breakup: “Death By A Thousand Cuts” 

This song is kind of heart-breaking but it’s upbeat at the same time, so it’s still a bop. This track is relatable if you’re going through a break up but won’t make you bawl your eyes out. Even if you’re not a lyric person, it’s a good song to sing along to. Taylor also said in an interview that this song was inspired by the Netflix movie “Someone Great,” which is also a flick worth seeing if you haven’t yet. 

If you’re looking for a bop: “Cruel Summer” 

This song is probably my favorite track on the album. The lyrics are killer, and it’s the best song to dance to. Even though summer has pretty much wound down, I think that this song can still be a go-to jam for any season. 

If you’re completely in love: “Lover” 

Okay the title track of the album is probably my favorite. It was released as a single before the album came out, and I’ve been in love with it ever since. This song is super passionate, lyrics and all. The music is pretty slow, but it’s beautiful so I definitely recommend it, whether you’re in love or crying over the fact that you’re not. 

If you’re needing some female empowerment: “The Man” 

“The Man” has a really important message, and has a similar vibe to “You Need to Calm Down” which is also empowering and a bit socially charged. In the chorus, Taylor sings “I’m so sick of running as fast as I can, wondering if I’d get there quicker if I was a man, and I’m so sick of them coming at me again, because if I was a man, then I’d be the man.” I love that Taylor decided to make some important moves on this album, and the music is really upbeat too. This is actually my new go-to workout song too because it gets me pretty fired up. 

If you’re completely getting over someone: “I Forgot That You Existed” 

This is the first song on the album, which serves as a nice opening to the new vibe of Lover. It’s all about completely getting over someone, whether that be an ex or an old friend, or in Taylor’s case, Kim and Kanye West. Regardless, this song is super upbeat and jammy, so I also recommend this one.

There’s honestly not a song on the album that I wouldn’t recommend, so I may be a bit biased, but if you’re just looking for some new music, definitely check the album out.

Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.