Shows to Watch to Forget About the State of the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

School has moved online, workplaces have shut down, and the outside world is on fire. What could be a better time to find a new show to get into than now? Thanks to cable and streaming services, there are plenty to choose from! Here are some shows that are currently on their first season that I have been watching to keep myself occupied during social distancing. If you’re a fan of ordinary people finding themselves in extraordinary situations, you’ll enjoy this list.

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC/Hulu)

This musical-comedy-drama show follows computer coder Zoey, who discovers she can hear people’s innermost thoughts through songs and musical numbers. With the help of her music loving genderfluid neighbor Mo, Zoey finds out that her best friend is in love with her (Pitch Perfect’s Skylar Astin!), the men at work don’t trust her, and her boss (played by Lorelai Gilomore herself, Lauren Graham!) is in an unhappy marriage. Most importantly, she has a chance to connect with her father who is unable to speak due to a neurological disease. 

The problems that Zoey’s newfound ability creates are both comedic chaos and drama infused situations. If you listen to music, you’ll love this show. If you like musicals, you’ll love this show. If you want to cry, you’ll love this show. If you want to feel hope for humanity, you’ll love this show. It’s heartfelt and a bright light in what feels like a very dark world at the moment.

Locke & Key (Netflix)

Following the murder of thier father, the three Locke siblings move to thier father’s anscestral home in Massachussests with thier mother. There, they discover magical keys with different powers that are somehow tied to their father’s death. When one them accidently awkens a demon who is deadset on gathering all the keys, the siblings along with thier new freinds, have to work togehter to not only save themseleves and the town, but to figure out the mystery behind thier father’s murder and his secert past. 

The season long mystery will have you guessing, and the big reveal will have you gasping. The mysterious keys and their powers are just the beginning of everything. If you love mystery, magic, and the supernatural you’ll want to finish this show in one sitting. You’ll also want to protect Bode Locke at all costs.

I’m Not Okay with This (Netflix)

Sydney is not the happiest teenager right now and her world is turned even more upside down when she discovers she has strange powers. “It”’s Sophia Lillias and Wyatt Oleff reunite to get to the bottom of what is happening with Syd. All while this is going on, Syd develops feelings for her best friend Dina and is forced to deal with her dysfunctional family and their very heavy baggage. 

I am only a couple of episodes in but I am hooked! If you’re a fan of coming of age movies and angst driven shows with humor, this might be perfect for you.

Nancy Drew (The CW)

When Nancy’s college plans are derailed, she finds herself stuck in her hometown of Horse Shoe Bay. While working at The Claw one night, a socialite is killed in the parking lot and Nancy and her coworkers are all suspects. They reluctantly band together to discover what actually happened to Tiffany Hudson that night. Nancy believes Tiffany’s murder is connected to Lucy Sable, a teenager that was mysterously killed 19 year ago, who’s ghost just so happens to be haunting Nancy. 

This isn’t the Nancy Drew you grew up with. Like most CW shows, this is more gritty, but nowhere as cringey as Riverdale. In fact, if you put all the good parts of “Riverdale” and “Supernatural” and add a teen detective, you’ll get this show. The season-long mystery is so complex that you’ll never see it coming until it’s too late. The supernatural aspect of the show adds a whole new layer to the mystery. And if the mystery and the ghosts aren’t what keeps you occupied, the drama from Nancy and “The Drew Crew” will keep you tuning in for more.

Caroline Ferrari is a senior at Emmanuel College and is majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Politcal Communication and Writing. She is the Treasurer for Her Campus even though numbers have scared her since 4th grade math class. She is the pop culture expert on her family's trivia team and her Netflix account is her most prized possession. Her ultimate dream is to work for Entertainment Weekly so people have no choice but to listen to her opinions on movies and tv shows.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.