This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

This article is in honor of one of our executive board members, Elise Kline, who is graduating this semester. We interviewed her about her college experience, here are some of her thoughts. Elise has also published a more in-depth article reflecting on her time here at Emmanuel where she details everything she’s learned and taken away, check it out here!

Name: Elise Kline

Major: Communications and Media Studies 

HCE Exec Board Position: Elise started as a secretary and held that position for one semester then moved on to Vice President. Elise is currently Vice President and has held that position for a year and a half. 

HCE: So what’s the best class you’ve taken here at Emmanuel?

Elise Kline: Prose Writing with Dr. Mary Beth Pope, she’s incredible, she helped me get one of my essays for that class published.

HCE: What is your dream job?

Elise Kline: Probably working for the Washington Post either in the newsroom or working for a newspaper or magazine.

HCE: Since Thanksgiving has just passed, what are you thankful for?

Elise Kline: Getting to spend time with my family and good health

HCE: What is your favorite thing to do in Boston? 

Elise Kline: Oh that’s a tough one there are so many fun things to do in Boston. Daytime wise I love walking in the city and listening to music. The city just gives you so much energy it was really peaceful. Nightlife wise there are a lot of fun bars and restaurants. I loved trying new places and having fun with my friends. I went to a speakeasy once that had Star Wars themed drinks. I just like always knowing there’s a new place to try it’s so exciting. 

HCE: What’s your history been with HER Campus over the past four years?

Elise Kline: I transferred to EC my Sophomore year, and I was trying to make friends. Her Campus made me feel comfortable and let me have fun. As a writing club, it gave me a purpose and network. Coming to Her Campus felt like I was given the opportunity to have all these fun college experiences. I also found the Body Project through Her Campus which is also a passion of mine. It really helped me establish myself as a working woman. It was very encouraging and inspiring. 

HCE: What was your favorite part of being in HER Campus?

Elise Kline: Being a part of a group of strong women. Women supporting other women is so important. And finding a group that does in a really genuine way. Everyone is so passionate and that’s really powerful.

HCE: Did you have a favorite HER Campus event? 

Elise Kline: Fashion Show, college fashion week because we got to interact with her campus nationals and her campus sponsor. I had never been to something that glamorous before and it was so exciting. 

HCE: What have been some of your favorite moments and memories at Emmanuel?

Elise Kline: Hmm. Career-wise it was when my first article for Her Campus was published. I’ve definitely grown a lot since then but that was the first time my writing had ever been published so it was the start of my journey. Friend-wise I went to a Carrie Underwood concert last fall with a friend I met in a math class. We had the best time. We had dinner, hung out at my apartment, and it was just the best concert. one of my closest friends I’ve met at Emmanuel. Met in personal finance and bonded with how much we hated it.  

HCE: Do you have any advice or anything you would want to say to freshman Elise?

Elise Kline: Wow freshman Elise was a very different person than who I am now. I know it’s cheesy but the quote: don’t worry be happy. My anxiety was really high and I think it’s important to know that there’s a lot of things you can’t control so to just live in the moment and don’t stress out too much about the future because we are so young so we don’t need to plan our lives every single second. There are just so many unexpected you can’t plan for so to just live in the moment, taking it one step at a time. There were so many experiences I never let myself have and those are the experiences you look back on and cherish. So just that it’s okay to be in the moment and just enjoy life. DOn’t feel guilty to take time to relax. Self-care is SO important. I didn’t do that when I first started college, and it takes a lit of work because it is hard to prioritize yourself but it is so so important. Also, never let anyone else dull your spirit or shine. There will be so many people who will try and doubt yourself. So keep telling yourself that you can do it, manifest confidence. There are so many doors that will open to you if you’re confident. 

HCE: I know this might be a pretty anxiety-inducing question, especially right now with the pandemic, but do you have any plans for after you graduate?

Elise Kline: I have tentative plans. I’m currently applying to grad school. I went to get a Master’s in Journalism, specifically applying to Journalism programs. degree and then work for a newsroom. I’m applying to places in D.C. because I’m feeling really drawn to it there are just so many opportunities there and it’s a new place. But I’m applying to American University, Northwestern’s program in D.C., University of Maryland, BU, and Emerson. I want to get outside my comfort zone and try a new place. 

HCE: That’s great! And just to end on a light note, what is your favorite flavor of ice cream? 

Elise Kline: Mint Chocolate Chip

Thank you so much, Elise, for everything you’ve brought to HCE! The club wouldn’t have been the same without you and your positive uplifting energy. You’ve done so much to support both general members and executive board members over the past few years. (On a personal note, I know that you were one of the first people to welcome me into the club when I joined my freshman year and I will always be so thankful for that.) You are such a talented and driven woman you’re going to accomplish so much! We’re all going to miss you and we love you so much! Good luck with all your future endeavors, may they bring you just as much happiness as they do success. HCEXO

To read all of Elise’s articles for Her Campus at Emmanuel, check out her author page here. 

Megan is attending Emmanuel College and working toward a double major in Sociology with a concentration in Social Justice and Inequality, and International Studies with a concentration in Global Justice and Sustainability. When Megan isn't writing articles for Her Campus you can find her baking and listening to crime podcasts, traveling, taking care of her plants, or hiking! https://www.instagram.com/meg_evangeline/
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.