nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Playlist for When You Just Need to Smile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

College has taught me, above all else, that happiness is not always a permanent fixture in any individual’s life. Winning the lottery one day will not guarantee a life completely free of hardships. To me, then, the most important thing is your attitude. How you approach your mistakes and shortcomings makes such a difference in situations where laughing or crying seem to be the only two options. I choose to laugh.

Here are some songs that can put a smile on anybody’s face, on any given day…

Rosa Dear- Ruth

This hidden gem was used as the theme song for the organization Vet Ranch recently, and not only is it musically beautiful, but the message is equally beautiful.

Cold Cold Man- Saint Motel

Saint Motel is a remarkably talented band that entered the scene a couple of years ago when their song “My Type” was used as the FIFA theme song. Let’s not forget that their videos are incredibly creative and often very funny too.

Feel- Bombay Bicycle Club

Impossibly catchy, the entirety of Bombay Bicycle Club’s discography is filled with gorgeous experimental music and videos with an almost ethereal feel to them. This song makes me smile without fail every time.

I Won’t Let You Down- OK Go

This song won’t let you down, and it will also make a great addition to any workout playlist!

Don’t Leave Me [Ne Me Quitte Pas]- Regina Spektor

Regina Spektor loves nothing more than incorporating scatting and the occasional different language in her music. This song is too much fun with the horn section toward the middle.

I Just Do- Dear and the Headlights

Definitely something we all would have jammed to back when we were too punk rock.  

Adventure Of A Lifetime- Coldplay

A gorgeous song with impressive animation to boot, I haven’t stopped listening to it since the Super Bowl Halftime Performance when it made me cry a little.

Now, get listening and start smiling!

Emily is a senior *gulps* at Emmanuel College with a great passion for psychology, writing, and theatre. She loves animals, movies, museums, and smiling. Bukowski is her favorite poet, and she identifies with Tina Belcher on a very strong spiritual level. 
Her Campus Emmanuel