This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Numerology is an ancient belief that everything in life boils down to a number. From one number, specific traits are found. The theory behind the science is that each number has a vibration, which shows these specific traits in a person. Many numerologists credit Pythagoras (creator of the infamous pythagorean theorem), for discovering the vibration frequencies in numbers. Pythagoras created identities for numbers 1-9, and determined that odd numbers are masculine and even numbers are feminine. 

Similar to horoscopes, you’re supposed to find your “life number” and from this you receive characteristics. However, your life number doesn’t determine the outcome of your future. Instead, it provides you with an identity that you can use to motivate you. The main idea behind numerology is that you manifest the characteristics associated with your number that you think most defines you. 

To calculate your “life number” all you need to do is write out your birth date and up all the digits. Using my birthday, September 17th, 2003, as an example, you would write it out as 0+9+1+7+2+0+0+3 and find the sum. My life number happens to be 22 which is known as a “master number,” which is more rare compared to the typical life numbers which are 1-9. Master numbers are 11,22,33 and they are believed to have more power. If you add your birth date up and you do not get one of these three numbers, then you have more additions you need to do. Perhaps you got 14 as the sum of your birthday, you would then need to do 1+4 and your life number can be 5.

What I’ve found to appreciate most in numerology is that it gives you room to grow. After reading the meaning behind my life number I was able to resonate with some of it and continue to manifest some of those characteristics into life, whether it be school work or socially. In contrast to horoscopes, there is little to no negative energy that comes with life numbers. Typically with horoscopes I found myself focused on the negative parts of my reading instead of appreciating the positive aspects. With my life number I am able to focus on the positive characteristics and improve my life as a whole.

Treasurer of Emmanuel College's Her Campus chapter where I oversee all the finances of the chapter. Outside of Her Campus, I am apart of the school's Chess Club and currently studying Political Science. In my free time I enjoy going to lifting and all other things exercise-related! I love going on runs with my dog and going for walks along the Charles River.