Career

My Tips For Successfully Preparing For a New Internship or Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

When it comes to getting a new job, it can be stressful and exciting all at the same time. There is a lot to organize and dive into depending on where you are working. I recently started my internship this past Friday at a law office in Boston’s Prudential Center. I am graduating this year and will eventually need to find a full time job eventually. I am looking forward to that next step, but am equally terrified as well. As nerve racking as it is to be entering the working adult world soon, I am confident that I will gain valuable skills from where I am now to my future job after I graduate. My internship consists of going into the office on Fridays and working remotely another day of the week. There were many steps that went into getting ready for it, so here are some of my go-tos!

1. Research Office Location

When it comes to going into the office, you need to know where you are going and how far it is. If you have no idea or the location is far away, it is best to visit the place the day  of or sometime before starting. If you know where you are going, still get there at least 30 minutes to an hour early for the first day. When I went in for mine I knew how to get to the Prudential, but needed a little time to find where the lobby was and got there an hour early. It was nice because I had time to relax, find where to go and not stress out about a time crunch. Once I found the spot I killed time by grabbing a coffee and croissant at Blue Bottle Coffee across the lobby and enjoyed my time sitting at their tables. Next time I will most likely get there around 30 minutes early now that I know exactly where I am going. It is definitely worth it giving yourself enough time so that you can have a nice start to your day and give a good impression. 

1. Have the Proper Work Attire

Finding clothes for work can be fun and a hassle; personally, I have trouble finding items that work well because I am 5’9 and a college student trying to save money. I did not have time to go out earlier in the week to find some dress pants and lucked out with some pairs from Target that fit perfectly. Other stores that I would recommend to shop at for dress clothes would be Zara, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, H&M and Amazon! Depending on your job, the attire may be more casual so it all depends on the job for where to shop and what to buy. Make sure to be comfortable as well; you will be in these clothes all day and maybe even on your feet, so comfort is key. I wore a pair of white and navy Stan Smiths; they were great on my feet and were nice to wear with my plaid pants that had white accents. People say that you look the best when you feel good and I couldn’t agree more; it is not about being fashionable, but confident. Everyone has different styles and tastes, so wear what aligns with your personality while also being appropriate to the position!

1. Use a Functional Bag and Organize 

It is important to use a bag that is big enough and helpful when it comes to work, especially when there is lots of walking in your commute. I have a small backpack that I use and find it to be the best option. It is enough to fit my computer, chargers, snacks and other work essentials. I like using backpacks because they are easy to carry; I once used a bag with a handle and that was a big mistake, it was so heavy to hold! Along with functionality, it allows for all of your stuff to be in one place. You can find stylish and simple bags all over from Amazon, Target and other large retail stores. I would say that Amazon would probably be the best option because of the endless options and shipping speed. 

1. Have Essentials Gathered Together

During the night before you go into work, make sure to have everything together in the same spot. Even making a checklist to look over that morning is essential. I tend to get stressed about forgetting items or getting sidetracked, so putting all of your stuff in one area is great. I usually find a spot on my kitchen table or island to put down my bag, purse, keys, shoes and even my outfits at times. It makes the morning much smoother and time efficient because you are not scrambling for everything and feel less overwhelmed. The lists are especially good for when you choose to bring a lunch to work, because that can easily be forgotten, especially items in the fridge that are supposed to be in it. One time I even forgot my coffee that I made sitting on the table because of how much I was rushing. It may feel tedious doing all of these tasks, but they make that first day morning put together and you just feel better overall being prepared.

1. Just Be Yourself

At the end of the day, stay true to who you are at your new job or internship. First days are nerve racking making that big first impression, but try not to get in your head. You were hired for a reason and are supposed to be there, so remember that. There will be times where the work is challenging and maybe not challenging enough; make sure to always push yourself, it is only when out of our comfort zones that we really learn. I have only just started my internship and know that I will be up for new tasks I have not done previously, but I am excited. It may be a lot or confusing during moments, but that is the point. In life we are not supposed to know and understand everything; growth would be greatly impeded if so. These are the moments where we learn more about ourselves, the careers we want to take on and where there is the possibility for great connections to be made. No matter what internship or job it is that you are starting, participate in the opportunities given there and use them to be the best version of yourself. It may be scary at first, but you will never know until you take the plunge; I suggest taking it :).

Hi my name is Karly and I am in my Senior Year at Emmanuel College. I am studying Communications with a Minor in Marketing and Writing. I plan to someday work in marketing and live in Boston. In my free time I love to walk around the city, read, get coffee, see my friends and family. For a fun fact, I have my Cosmetology License!