Memorial at the Boston Marathon 2023
Memorial at the Boston Marathon 2023
Original photo by Isabella Nolasco
Life > Experiences

My First Time at the Boston Marathon: What Boston is All About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

As a freshman in Boston, this year has been all about going to all of the famous Boston events throughout my first two semesters. From my first Red Sox and Bruins games to my first St. Patrick’s Day parade, I have felt the Boston spirit in all of these events. However, the Boston Marathon is unlike any other event I have experienced here so far. 

There was something in the air during the mid-April week of the marathon. It was finally feeling like spring; the air was warm, the trees blooming. I went to the finish line the day before, to avoid Patriot’s Day traffic the next day. I met people who were running their first marathon and scoping out the scene, and others who had run this marathon 8 years in a row. But I also met people who have traveled from countries away to support their family members running it, being so excited that they had the chance to watch or run such a prestigious marathon. It was also beautiful to see the memorials of the 2013 bombings, and how Boston makes sure this tragedy is remembered, even though it is an exciting day for so many. It was a 10/10 experience, and so awesome to be able to walk around the finish line the day before the main event.

Memorial at the Boston Marathon 2023
Original photo by Isabella Nolasco

On the day of the marathon, Boston and its surrounding suburbs came to cheer on family, friends, and sometimes complete strangers who were running the marathon. Streets were filled with supporters with noisemakers, signs, and music. I found a nice spot right in Kenmore Square, and my friends and I witnessed the Boston spirit in a whole new light. Silly, yet motivating signs, like “Smile if you’ve peed a little,” and “You got this! 1 mile away from a beer!” made runners and spectators alike giggle.

Runners at the 2023 Boston Marathon
Original photo by Isabella Nolasco

I think that after the tragedy of the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombings, a new sense of empowerment was brought to Boston to show people that we will come back stronger than ever. There is a sense of unity at the Boston Marathon, and everybody is there to support the amazing human beings who have trained and put in all of their effort and hard work into this amazing milestone. It was one of those experiences that makes you so proud to be representing a city that many call home.

Isabella is a first-year Accounting major and Economics minor at Emmanuel College. She loves finding new music, shopping, and laughing with friends and family.