This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I started college in 2020 and I had no idea that I would turn into a coffee addict. In high school I would drink coffee maybe once a week. To my surprise, I am on my second cup of coffee as I am writing this and it is only 9:39 in the morning- oh how things change. I have spent 3 years living in Fenway, so I have had some time to figure out my favorite coffee shops around the area. These coffee shops range from having the best coffee or cutest environment all the way to best service. 

1. Cafe Nero

Cafe Nero has my heart. When I was living on campus, there was a Cafe Nero two minutes down the street. Since I have moved and I live off campus now I was sad to think about how far away I will be from that Cafe Nero. To my pleasant surprise, there is actually a Cafe Nero right below my apartment! Whenever I want to wind down from a busy school week, I go to Cafe Nero on the weekends in the morning. Usually coffee shops around the Fenway area are super busy at all times. I have not been able to find a coffee shop that I could sit down at and enjoy a cup of coffee. Cafe Nero proved me wrong- they are actually the one coffee shop around Fenway that is rarely busy on weekend mornings. I am able to go to Cafe Nero and sit down in a very comfortable chair and sip on some delicious coffee, in particular an iced vanilla latte. 

1. Pavement 

For the longest time I have avoided Pavement because it was somewhat a long walk from school. Luckily when I moved off campus I became a little bit closer. This recent year I have started to go to Pavement and I have not been disappointed. I tried their coffee once and it was amazing but sadly the price was very expensive. Now when I go to Pavement, it is on occasions. Since the coffee is expensive I feel as if I need to go all out. I usually get an iced vanilla latte and a bagel sandwich. Pavement has a variety of bagel sandwiches to choose from. My favorite one on the menu is “The Fix” which has sausage, gouda cheese, and pepper jam. I am pleased to know that Pavement also has vegan options for their bagel sandwiches!

1. Tatte

I feel like everyone who lives in the Fenway area has mixed feelings about Tatte. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it is always busy. Yes, it is crowded. Yes, it is loud. But it is so good. The only reason why I go to Tatte is because of their food. They have delicious breakfast options. My usual order is the Croissant Bagel Sandwich. I always try to find breakfast options that have avocado and it has been very difficult to find. Luckily, this croissant sandwich has avocado! Sadly though I can’t sit down and relax at Tatte while I eat my sandwich because it is always so busy. I usually have to do take-out and eat it at my apartment. I wish I could enjoy it at the coffee shop but the taste of the sandwich makes up for it. 

If I am feeling too lazy to leave my apartment and walk to either Cafe Nero, Pavement, or Tatte, I turn my apartment into a coffee shop. I brew my coffee and I light up delicious winter candles and I sit on the couch and sit on my coffee. It is a great alternative to the amazing Fenway coffee shops. 

Madeleine Graves-Witherell is a sophomore studying Communications and Media Studies. She recently has worked with multiple social media platforms, specifically Instagram and TikTok in marketing means. Madeleine is an activist for women's rights and social change. When she is not writing, she is listening to Vance Joy on repeat or reciting The Office quotes.