Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Style > Fashion

My Favorite Back To School Outfit Inspirations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Going back to school is stressful enough on it’s own, but the added layer of buying new clothes and formulating the perfect look for fall can be overwhelming. There is always so much pressure when buying clothes for the new school year, and I never know where to start. However, as cold weather approaches and I’ve started watching my fall comfort shows and movies once again, I’ve realized the inspiration has been right in front of me!

Rory gilmore, ‘Gilmore Girls’

To me, Gilmore Girls is the epitome of fall. Many of it’s best episodes are when picturesque Stars Hallow’s foliage is in full bloom. Rory and Loreli constantly have a cup of hot coffee in their hands, walk the streets of their small town while leaves crunch under their feet, and most importantly they show case incredible fall looks. Rory wears lots of big sweaters, corduroy pants, turtlenecks, and plaid skirts. Adding any of these items to your fall wardrobe will certainly make you feel like you’re living in Stars Hallow! My favorite Rory look is by far her chunky off-white cableknit sweater, I think it’s a necessity for this fall.

Elena Gilbert, ‘The vampire diaries’

Fall is my favorite season for numerous reasons, but a huge one is that its when Halloween occurs. The Vampire Diaries is a drama with some pretty spooky and dark themes, so its perfect to get you in the mood for October 31st. Elena Gilbert, when she isn’t hanging out with one of her vampire boyfriends, gives us the perfect basic fall outfits. She wears a lot of bootcut jeans, long sleeve henley’s, and converse. She proves that sometimes simple is best, because this outfit combination is perfect for a crisp September day!

Sally albright, ‘when harry met sally’

When Harry Met Sally is a classic movie for many reasons, but I have always loved it for it’s beautiful cinematography of New York City in the fall. Sally’s outfits definitely reflect the time of year and fashion trends of the time. She is the queen of chunky jackets, including blazers, leather, and cardigans. These are often paired with high waisted pants, either mom jeans or trousers. If you need any vintage fall outfit inspiration, look no further than Sally Albright.

Aine Hoye

Emmanuel '25

Aine is the editor of Emmanuel College's Her Campus chapter. She's an English major, and loves reading in her free time. HC has been a huge part of her life since her first year of college, and she's loved every minute!