This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

College is an exciting time filled with lots of new opportunities and experiences. As a current junior, I’d like to share some of the things I learned from starting college. People will tell you many different things about college, myself included, but it is best to start with an open mind and be flexible.

1. Don’t expect too much

When I started college, I had high expectations. I thought that I was going to make friends right away and find my place; however, it takes time. Just because you start out one way doesn’t mean that will define the rest of your college experience.  

1. Making friends can be harder than it seems, so let relationships happen naturally

It can be hard to put yourself out there again when you’re in college. Whether you’re a freshman or transfer student, meeting new people is nerve wracking. Remember that you can make friends just about anywhere; they don’t have to be on your dorm floor. Join clubs and activities that interest you and you will meet people along the way. You’ll find that most everyone is also trying to get to know other people as well.

1. Remember why you’re there

College is still school and it’s still important to care about your classes. It’s all about finding a balance between your social life and your study life. Go to your classes, do the homework, study for tests, and go to your professor’s office hours. 

1. Don’t compare your college life to anyone else’s

Forget everything you’ve seen on tv about college. You can make your college experience however you want it to be. Don’t let social media give you false ideas of what you should be doing in college. I know it can be hard when you see other people who supposedly are having a better time than you, but just remember people only post the highlights. You don’t know what’s really happening, so don’t make assumptions.

1. Call home more

It can be great to live away from home, you gain so much independence and learn a lot. But don’t forget to call your family. They understand that you get busy, but they also want to hear how you’re doing.

1. It’s okay to eat alone in the dining hall

You don’t always need to eat with someone at the dining hall. It is perfectly fine to go alone. Sometimes you’ll have different schedules than your friends and you’ll need to go by yourself. It is normal and you’ll see many other people eating alone as well. 

1. You don’t need to go out all the time

If you don’t want to go out, or if it isn’t your thing, don’t worry about it. It may seem like everyone else is going out, but you don’t have to, nor should you, feel pressured to. Sometimes you just want a nice night in to relax, and that’s perfectly okay.

1. Focus your energy on your schoolwork

This also ties into “Remember why you’re there.” Really make the effort to do well in your classes. Try not to get caught up in drama or other things happening at school. You’re a student first.

1. Don’t feel the need to be in a relationship just because everyone else is

Personally, I have felt this because I am still single. You may feel like you need to find someone because you’re the only single friend, but what’s the rush? Put in the effort if you want, but don’t obsess or worry about it because your time will come.

1. You have time

Speaking of time, you have plenty of it. College is the opportunity to learn more about yourself and others before you officially work and have a job in the “real world.” You will mess up, and you will even fail sometimes, but you will also learn and come closer to knowing what you want. Don’t pressure yourself to know it all and have it all figured out; there’s many paths you can take and roads that will lead you to your passion.

As I near the end of college, I realize how thankful I am that I have learned these lessons. I hope they were helpful to you. Good luck! 

Catherine Hogan

Emmanuel '24

Catherine Hogan is a senior at Emmanuel college. She's majoring in communications, media studies and loves to read. She also enjoys running around the city of Boston.