This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

We are at that point of the year where everything is winding down and coming to a close. Finals week is not fun, but there are ways to make it better and less stressful. I have about two weeks left of school, and it is overwhelming with all the assignments being crammed in but we’ve all got this! College is an adjustment when it comes to exams and how the classes work. It’s such a different environment than high school. I am about to finish my junior year, so I have learned to get in the hang of it all, but I remember being a freshman and was so lost.  Here are some tips: 

Write out your schedule  

When it comes to preparing it is best to write everything out. If you don’t have a Calander or agenda, buy one or at least something to plan out your tasks. Put down when exams or projects are due and social activities and anything else that is coming up. Once this is done, write in an agenda when you will work on the assignments-a set schedule is helpful. Having structure makes you more organized and time is being used efficiently. I find myself always wasting time or getting sidetracked when I do not schedule my time. Once you are done with the tasks you can then cross them off as you go which always feel good.  

Talk to your professors 

Speak with you professors if you are having trouble with the topics or just need more guidance. They are there to help you and want you to be successful. I always like going to office hours because it is nice getting to know my professors. They could help you with a paper or give clarification on projects if you are struggling and it is always better to ask. Ask questions about the possible exam, the format, how many questions and what you should focus on. Doing this also shows them that you are trying and care about the class which looks good.  

Take breaks 

I know that at times you feel that you need to cram everything all at once, but breaks are necessary. Without breaks you just get burnt out and that is worse. After working for a few hours just take a pause, like 20 or 40 minutes or even an hour. Do whatever, I like to take time on my phone or watch a show to relax a little.  

Have snacks  

Food breaks are always the best. A snack always gives a nice added boost- especially coffee. I love coffee, my go-tos are an iced latte, cappuccino, or shaken espresso. I always like to have a combination of sweet and salty foods on hand (usually chips or chocolate). I know that stress affects everyone differently sometimes you may not get hungry, but still eat because the hunger and exhaustion will really hit you later. A nice meal is perfect after a long day of studying; always remember to treat yourself.  

Try different studying techniques  

When it comes to studying there are so many ways. I always like to use different colors when it comes to writing down different information, so that each topic is differentiated. I like to annotate large texts so that I understand them better and remember the points. Flashcards or making a Quizlet is perfect too; I like Quizlet a lot because on top of the card there are exercises as well to help you study. If you have a paper try outlining it first, or brainstorm to get it going to make sure you are on the right track before starting. Outlining is great because it helps cut down time when you get to writing the paper because everything is planned out and not all over the place  

Find a focused location 

Everyone has a favorite place to do work, mine is the library for when I really need to get stuff done. I am the most focused here because of how quiet it is, the environment is more serious which keeps me focused. There are other places that I like to go to, but this is where I am probably the most productive. If you do not have a place, find one whether that is your library, an academic building or even a café. Once you have it, you will be all set and ready to take on the next challenge.  

It is wild how we are almost done with school this year, sometimes I wonder where the time went. It all flew by as soon as spring break started, I can’t wait for summer and spending my days tanning at the beach. As tough as these two weeks are going to be, it will be worth it once we have our summer break. Plan a trip, go to the beach, go out with friends and anything else you have been longing for. You will do great during your final exams and projects and if you need help follow my guide. Just do the best that you can, that is all that really matters, even if your ideal goals are not reached. No grade can define your worth, as long as you work hard, try and be yourself, that is true success.  

Hi my name is Karly and I am in my Senior Year at Emmanuel College. I am studying Communications with a Minor in Marketing and Writing. I plan to someday work in marketing and live in Boston. In my free time I love to walk around the city, read, get coffee, see my friends and family. For a fun fact, I have my Cosmetology License!