How to Actually Recharge Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I think it’s been well agreed by most students that this semester has been a challenging one. It’s hard to avoid burnout when there are a million things to do, finals to study for, and activities to go to. While winter break is a time to celebrate the holidays with family, it also can be a great time to recharge. Recharging after burnout, or even just a tough period of time, is so important. This is something I’ve always tried to do, but not realizing that social media and phone habits can really inhibit the process. Everything in moderation is key, but with so much extra time during winter break, I always end up spending way too long on my phone. Here are some steps I plan to take to avoid this, and truly give myself a restful time at home.

1. Set Social Media time limits

Limiting your time on social media is a genuine commitment. It’s so easy to slip back into doom scrolling and losing track of time on your TikTok FYP. Screen time limits are pretty easy to set, but also easy to ignore and keep using those apps. I recently got an app called “Screen Zen” that also sets app limits, but instead of being able to click ignore, a screen pops up for twenty seconds and asks you to take a deep breath and reevaluate. I’ve found this amount of time has helped me a lot, and I usually realize I’m just bored and clicking on apps out of habit.

1. Spend time with Nature

My favorite thing to do while home is revisit all the hiking trails my hometown has to offer. Living in the city is wonderful, but it definitely is easy to miss out on time with nature. Even if your hometown only has a few parks, really prioritize whatever time you can spend there. Go sledding, take your dog for a walk, even just walk around your neighborhood. The fresh air and vitamin D (although limited because it’s winter) will make you feel like a brand new person.

1. Move your body!

Fitness doesn’t have to mean an intense workout or going for a run. Doing yoga, going for a walk, and even simple stretching does so much for you. Start small, and just do what feels good for you.

1. Spend time with people mindfully

As an introvert, I find it really easy to isolate myself. I think a lot of people also view “recharging” as a solo activity. However, spending time with people you love and you know make you feel good can be so beneficial. Meeting new people can also be invigorating and exciting, especially for more extroverted people! Prioritizing time with the right people can help you recharge and boost your mood.

These tips are just a few that I’m planning on using to repair my burnout in the coming weeks. However, don’t be afraid to do what makes you feel good and makes your soul happy. Whatever it may be, I wish you a restful and lovely winter break!

Aine Hoye

Emmanuel '25

Aine is the editor of Emmanuel College's Her Campus chapter. She's an English major, and loves reading in her free time. HC has been a huge part of her life since her first year of college, and she's loved every minute!