As many of the members of Her Campus Emmanuel prepare for tech (*cough cough* hell) week, I thought I‘d share some tips and tricks for coping with the horrors of tech week that I’ve learned throughout my many years of acting in shows.
1. Get ahead on your homework. Tech week can and will suck all the life out of you. It’s rare to have a rehearsal that lasts for less than twelve hours. To avoid getting behind in your classes, take a look at your syllabi and figure out what will be due during tech week, and attack it as soon as possible.
2. Take time for yourself. Tech week often leaves you physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. It’s important to find some time to take care of your mental/emotional health. Watch a few episodes of your favorite show on Netflix, or go to a coffee shop with friends. Do anything to take your mind off of the show and get yourself out of the auditorium.
3. Stay caffeinated. Nobody can survive tech week without their favorite caffeinated beverage. So stock up on Monsters or K-Cups, so you don’t find yourself dozing off during a run or cue to cue. Trust me, this one is essential.
4. Be honest with your professors. It’s quite unlikely that you’ll get all of your work submitted on time that week, so communicate with your professors that you’re in the middle of tech week and that you’re doing your best.
5. Walk around with a fake smile. I guarantee that by the end of the week, nobody will be in a good mood. It becomes very easy to get into arguments with friends and other people that you normally wouldn’t disagree with. To avoid this, pretend to be super happy all week. This will keep arguments to a minimum and help to avoid any social issues that may arise during hell– sorry, tech– week.
Best of luck during tech week, collegiettes! Break a leg!