This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

My aunt told me I would be sorry if I didn’t vote for trump. Boy, do I think she is wrong. Her opinion, not mine. I am 18 years old and this is my first time voting. What a rush?!? Months before I knew I would have to do my research. I believe a citizen, in order to know who they are going to vote for, must know what their candidate’s beliefs are like.They can’t vote willy-nilly—this is the future of the country we are talking about. I wanted to know who I was getting into and if I respected the person. I watched the debates and maybe laughed a bit. The United States puts too much pressure on politics. It is stressful and one little thing people implode with arguments. It either rides or dies. What ever happened to a civil election?!?! Is this what it is going to look like from now on?!?! Will my generation and future ones have to live in fear of having an opinion and just wanting to get this country back to normal?!? Maybe.

This year is crazy. November 3rd 2020 was the official election day however for the first time ever states allowed early in person voting. I voted a week before the election on Tuesday (October 27). I was super excited and confident about who to bubble in on my ballot. It was a gorgeous sunny day amidst the week of rain. My mom pulled up to our town’s local polling station and waited in a social distance line for half an hour. I got my ballot, and I went to a secretive desk. Although I did have to ask my mom some questions, I filled in who I wanted for president but all the other names I had no idea who they were except for one. I left them blank :/ BALLOT COUNTED. It felt so great to have voted and know that my opinion matters in this country. I now have a sticker saying “I voted early” proudly stuck to my laptop.

Even though this country is kind of in the dumps right now, America means so much to me. This country is my home. There is so much beauty if people can look past who we have as a president. There is so much more I could say, but I don’t know how to put it into words. This past year I grew into myself in what I want to say and what I believe in. For right now, My vote says enough.

2020 marks the 100th year of Women’s right to vote. I am a woman and have completed my civic duty. The future lives on the youth.

Girl from New York who is just trying to get to Boston!!1
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.