College Life Lessons 101 feat. Serena Isaac

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

College. Love it or hate it, you will never learn, grow and experience as much as you do during this time in your life. This truly is a pivotal time where we further our careers, set and achieve our academic goals, socialize and make lifelong friends and memories. I asked a good friend of mine, Serena Isaac, to share some of her insights about what she has learned throughout her college journey. Here’s what she had to say.

Image courtesy of Serena Isaac

1. What are your plans after college?

As of right now things are still up in the air, which is honestly okay with me. There seems to be this stigma that if you don’t find and settle into an office job before you graduate then your life is over but I don’t believe in that narrative. Despite it feeling like our lives are fleeting, we’re only in our early 20’s; we have time. As for plans though, I’m hoping to end up in Europe for a while and maybe even pursue grad school abroad.

2. What is the first thing you are going to do after you graduate?

Order a mimosa

Image courtesy of Serena Isaac

3. What is the greatest lesson you learned in your college career and why?

Never to change yourself to accommodate others. Be your most authentic self and you’ll attract the right people, life is too short to water yourself down for anyone.

Image courtesy of Serena Isaac

4. What is the best advice you received in your college experience and how did it impact you?

Take chances. Seek discomfort. Do things that scare you. Do things that excite you. Experience everything you possibly can. You might hate some of it and you might love some of it but both are equally important. It’s just as important to know what you don’t want to do than it is to know what you do.

Image courtesy of Serena Isaac

5. For all the newbies to college, what is your advice to them ?

Do things that give you butterflies in your stomach. Surround yourself with people that make you feel like you can do anything because you CAN do anything. It’s not going to be perfect and that’s okay, just live and experience and take things as they come. We’re never going to be as young and hot as we are now so take advantage of it now and indulge in every way you can. Eat delicious foods, listen to loud music, dance in public, stay out too late, do dumb stuff with your friends (within reason), and remember to laugh. Aside from all of that mushy stuff, also remember to go to class, school is expensive and it turns out some of the things you learn are actually interesting.

Essentially, the best thing you can do during this time in your life is to truly live it to the fullest and that means that you’re going to have to step out of your comfort zone every once and awhile. It’ll be worth it, just take it from Serena. Serena’s zest for life, willingness to try new things and passion for her career goals have provided her with the best possible experience and helped her to grow into the person she is today. Thank you for your words of wisdom Serena! Best of luck on life after college!

Elise Kline

Emmanuel '20

Elise is currently studying as an undergraduate at Emmanuel College in Boston with a major in Communications & Media Studies. This is her third year with Her Campus and she is more than ready to adventure into another year of all things related to politics, social justice, empowerment, lifestyle and more! She loves writing, watching rom coms and kickboxing!
Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime!