This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

College can be an amazing time of independence, finding yourself, and learning how to manage your own life. For many of us, college is a huge financial stressor, and working during the semester is a necessity. College students often struggle with handling money, because being out of the house means realizing dish soap and lotion don’t magically appear under the bathroom sink. It can also be frustrating, because with classes and internships, your hours to work can be pretty limited. Additionally, college is full of expectations, and it’s hard to not compare yourself to your peers. Having a small income doesn’t mean you don’t deserve to feel good about yourself. 

Instead of getting your nails done for $60-70 every few weeks, get some press-ons from CVS or Target for $10. By watching a few YouTube videos you get the hang of putting them on and how to make them last as long as a salon manicure. While places like Sephora and Ulta feel like heaven on earth, their products are sold at full price. By going to TJ Maxx and Marshalls, you can find brands like Glossier, Morphe, Laneige, and so many more for a fraction of the price. Thrifting is an amazing way to save money while updating your wardrobe. I’ve found beautiful and unique pieces at Goodwill and Salvation Army. If you prefer more contemporary styles, there are numerous online websites that have just about everything. Depop and Poshmark often have all the on-trend styles. 

Looks are far from everything, but I’m a firm believer that when you feel good about yourself, you gain confidence. Showing up for yourself creates such a difference in your life, and you don’t have to break the bank to do so.

Aine Hoye

Emmanuel '25

Aine is the editor of Emmanuel College's Her Campus chapter. She's an English major, and loves reading in her free time. HC has been a huge part of her life since her first year of college, and she's loved every minute!