Style > Beauty

Back To The Future Part II: Highlights and Predictions of 2023 Fashion Trends 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Welcome back to the future! Previously we discussed ​​this years wild trends. From cargo pants, dramatic hem lengths, sheer clothing, to denim in all its forms, 2023 was all over the board when it came to fashion. 

When it comes to trends, one question remains–is it really fashionable, or just trendy? So sometimes you have to ask yourself–would I really wear this? As consumers, do we aim to be aspirational or affordable? Do we shop for the moment, or do we shop for the future? Spoiler alert: there is no correct answer. 

As I said before, fashion trends come and go like the drop of a hat. There isn’t one right or wrong way to dress. While its fun to try out different styles and aestehetics based on the current fads its also important to focus on another factor. What makes YOU feel good about yourself. 

So with that being said, lets dive right into fall 2023 fashion trends. 

Fall 2023 

As the warm summer weather turns cold again, here we are again. Back to layers, scarves, and jackets, fall fashion has many possibilities. 

1. Fall and winter fashion is one fire—or at least that’s what it looks like. Solid and bold shades of red are popping up everywhere. From a bold “true red color” to a more maroon “cherry” red, the color has been taking over the world. Pops of red, such as nail polish, lipstick, and shoes, are huge right now. The color red can symbolize power and confidence, so no wonder we’re adding a pop of color to our seemingly “boring” fall outfits. 
  1. This brings me to my next point: scarves, hats, mittens, and tights are trending all across the board. Instead of opting for a more frumpy sweater and baggy jeans to stay warm, people have been getting creative and wearing tights with skirts, scarves with jackets, and mittens to keep warm. And I’ve got to say, I’m here for the trend. 
  1. Off the shoulder tops and sweaters have gone in and out of fashion. But as of late, off the shoulder has been popping up everywhere. From sweaters to basic black long sleeves, an off the shoulder look can give a sophisticated and elongated silhouette that will add some pizzazz to your outfit. 
  1. Speaking of interesting silhouettes, low back tops have been trending since early September. A low back top or dress can add an element of sensuality to any basic outfit; the only issue is finding garments that can work with it. 
  1. In a continuation of alternative tops, sheer tops have become huge as of late. While it used to be a goal in fashion to hide undergarments and to cover as much as possible. The emergence of sheer tops has normalized bras and even encouraged us to show off our fancy lace bralettes. For years, sheer clothing has been in and out of style; and now it’s evolving into sheer skirts, dresses, pants, etc. This new fad has brought a new way of layering and mixing different textiles. This new trend is far from over, and I am excited to see where it takes us in 2024. 
  1. Leather, leather, leather. Of course, leather jackets have always been in style. They tend to make a comeback every fall and winter. Living in the windy city of Boston, leather jackets are perfect for when you want to stay warm but also look retro and fancy. Instead of the typical tight bomber jacket, leather jackets have evolved into more of a baggy, grungy look that can give an edge to any outfit. On the other end of the spectrum, more fitted denim can be sophisticated and chic, adding a luxurious twist to any casual look. 
  1. Bows, bows, and, you guessed it, more bows! Although this trend has been in style all year long, there has been an influx of bows in the fall of 2023. Bows can go one of two ways; it can either look childish or simple and chic. A ponytail or a half-up style is a foolproof way to work a ribbon, but an oversized bow is the way to go for something unexpected. It creates immediate impact and looks oh-so chic when paired with a simple silhouette and monochrome colors. By far, this one is one of my favorite looks of 2023; I love how bows can add a little twist of color and femininity to any outfit. 

Designers played with classic clothing elements on the Spring 2024 runways in New York, London, Milan, and Paris, giving them new life through unexpected pairings. It’s hard to say what will be trending in 2024, as we all know trends can come and go just as quickly as they appear. But based on the 2024 fashion runway and the analysis of past trends of 2023, here are some of my predictions for the future of fashion. 

Predictions: 

1. 90s nostalgia is leading the way. From straight-structured jeans to slip dresses, the 90s style is returning. Clothing items such as cropped cardigans, sheer dresses and skirts, headbands, plaid, turtlenecks, and tights are already being sold out in stores. I believe we will return to a more “NYC 90s style,” meaning more plaids, vintage Nike, Adidas, colorful patterns, combat boots, and many layers that will continue to make a comeback.  
  1. I believe that the emergence of 60s fashion will take over. After watching the Priscilla movie, I think big bouncy hair, more eye makeup, and more 60’s fashion will emerge. From sweet, long dresses, capri pants, to colorful patterns and textiles, a more retro style is coming into fashion. 
  1. On the runways of Milan and London, I saw a lot of pastels and flowers. Not spring florals, but a more solid-colored floral accent. This year, I think we will add a flower decal to sweaters, tops, and dresses to give it a more sweet and sophisticated look. 
  1. Charlotte York core. We all love and adore Charlotte from Sex and The City, after all she was  the “queen of new york” throughout all the 90s and early 200s.  Next year, I think that there will be an increase in a more preppy style, as adjunct to the “old money trend” that we saw earlier this summer. Key elements like polo shirts, rugby stripes, tailored shorts will once again become essentials, but now styled in a more casual laid back way–thats less prep school and more off duty academia. Style icons like Charlotte York, elizabeth taylor, and Cher from clueless will be our inspiration for fashion this year. 
  1. Vintage, vintage, and more vintage. Did you notice that all of my fashion 2024 predictions are continuations of past trends? Well luckily with the emergence of older fashion styles coming back. We can start to shop more sustainably to find real vintage pieces that would be perfect for any estethic. This is not a new concept; thrift shopping and vintage shopping have been around for quite some time now. But as of late, clothing brands are starting to use more sustainable clothing materials, and people are starting to upcycle and thrift shop more often. Not only is this fashion trend good for our wallets, its also good for our environment. So with that being said, lets close our tabs in Shein and pop into a thrift store to find some unique pieces this upcoming year.  

As we approach 2024, the fashion landscape is poised for a dynamic and exciting transformation. From sustainability and retro apparel to more inclusive fashion, the upcoming year promises a diverse array of trends that cater to the ever-evolving tastes of fashion enthusiasts. Embracing the future of fashion and expressing your unique style is the most essential aspect of all. Trends come and go, but your personal style is forever, so wear what you like, and don’t get too caught up in what’s “trending”; after all, a few years from now, we might look at our current trends and cringe. So, my best advice for 2024 would be to make a statement and celebrate individuality, innovation, and the limitless possibilities of self-expression through fashion.

Hi my name is Hadley, and I'm a Sophomore. When I'm not writing for Her Campus I'm usually reading, hanging out with friends, or binge watching TV shows on Netflix