Style > Fashion

Back to the Future: Highlights of 2023 Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Fashion trends come and go like the drop of a hat. It’s hard to keep track of it all. Fashion is an ever changing industry, things that may have seemed cute and chic one minute can turn cringy and unsightly the next. With that being said, everyone’s fashion sense is different. There is not one right or wrong way to dress. Clothing is one of the most essential aspects of expressing yourself, from the colors we wear to the textiles and patterns we display, clothing can give us confidence and power. That’s why it’s so important to wear what makes you feel good about yourself, regardless if it’s trending or not.

Despite that, trends in fashion are important. Trends often conjure images of mom jeans and slip dresses from the 90s. Trends create a competitive environment that inspires the next generation of fashion designers and encourages brands to work hard to create new pieces. Even though it is disconcerting to see how fast trends come and go, without them, we wouldn’t have the iconic elements of clothing we wear every day if they weren’t around.

With the holiday season inching closer and closer, I can’t help looking back at this year’s fashion trends. 2023 was a massive year for fashion, styles were all over the board. From a continuation of feminine bows, an influx of sheer lace, and  denim maxi skirts, 2023 created a sort of “choose your own adventure” game plan when it came to fashion. 

So, without further ado, let’s take a trip down memory lane and look back on the most prominent fashion trends in 2023.

Winter

1. Going back to the start of 2023, we don’t always consider winter the most stylish of seasons. Outside of New Year and holiday looks, it can be easy to fall into a pattern of wearing the same thing every day. Last winter, we saw many new trends arise that we still wear now. For example, baggy jeans (baggy anything really) became huge. Baggy jeans returned a new, grungy silhouette that differed from the typical straight or mom jeans look. In addition, low-rise denim came back, kickstarting the y2k fashion trend emergence in 2023 that’s still going strong. 
  1. Mini Ugg boots were a huge trend last winter. Almost everyone I knew (and myself included) fell victim to the mini Ugg fad. While warm and comfortable, they weren’t adaptable to trek through snow and slush in our treacherous Boston winter. 
  1. And finally, we move onto coats. During the winter, many different styles of jackets became trendy, and some came back into fashion. For example, long dress coats have always been stylish. We saw an influx of long dress coats arise this year–from wool to leather; a long dress coat can sophisticate any outfit and keep you warm–it’s a win-win. On the other end of the spectrum, we saw a rise in cropped puffer jackets. While these aren’t the most practical purchase for the weather, they give a great silhouette and are perfect for winter days that are on the warmer side.

Spring 

Once winter ends and the warm spring weather comes around, we rush to swap out our bulky winter wardrobe for the light and airy clothes we packed away for months. Much like the rest of the seasons, the spring wardrobe had its staples–maxi skirts, flowy blouses, and light wash denim. But excitingly, we saw the rise of grunge, balletcore, and y2k fashion that has continued throughout the year. 

1. Following the Y2K fashion influence, cargo pants came back into style. Initially designed for military use, cargo pants are easily recognizable for their many pockets and relaxed fit. Cargo pants are versatile and can be styled in many ways–with baby tees, corset tops, and everything in between, they are a great staple in our wardrobe that’s slightly more alternative than jeans or trousers. 
  1. In a continuation of a more alternative aesthetic trend, dollcore became huge. Dollcore refers to anything girly, pink, and feminine. Throughout the spring of 2023, we saw many trends, like ruffles, light pink, lacey tops, bows in our hair, etc. Although this trend started in the spring, it has stayed strong all year. 
  1. Changing gears entirely, denim on denim became huge in spring 2023. Mixing and matching different shades and patterns of denim became very high fashion, as we saw on the Vogue runway earlier this year. New trends have emerged following the denim fasts, such as denim maxi skirts– which bring a more refined look to our typical denim mini skirt. 

Summer

Warmer weather makes it easier to get dressed. No more fussing with jackets and bulky layers; the perfect summer outfit often consists of shorts, a tee shirt, or a breezy sundress. However, if the goal was to take this year’s rotation up a notch, there were plenty of different fashion fads that put a twist on our everyday uniform. 

1. In the summer of 2023, Y2K fashion came in full swing. Style was dominated by baby tees, lacey tanks, and mini skirts in the early 2000s. With the rise of 2000s fashion, thrifting and consignment shopping became popular–not only is the early 2000s clothing making a comeback, but sustainable shopping as well. In the summer, we saw an influx of baby tees, lace-trim tanks, low-rise denim skirts/shorts, and much more. 
  1. Crochet was a massive trend in the summer–from crochet tanks to bikinis and even skirts, crochet took over the fashion game. Like clockwork, crochet pieces always come back once warmer temperatures ascend. But make no mistake. This isn’t another fleeting trend. Crochet pieces are becoming the epitome of summer style, surpassing the “trendy” status to become a summer staple.
  1. As we all know, TikTok and social media can make or break trends. One trend that seemed to come out of nowhere was the emergence of the “old money” aesthetic. As many of us can relate, preppy clothing was huge while we were in middle school (yikes). Some people either love it or hate it.with the rise of the “quiet luxury” wardrobe, a more preppy style has become popular again. The old money aesthetic is not only about pieces with fewer brand logos but also about a timeless and expensive style that symbolizes high society. And, of course, the aesthetic is also old. Think style icons like Jackie Kennedy and Princess Diana, travel destinations like the Hamptons, and iconic brands such as Ralph Lauren and Hermés. Of course, not everybody can afford such expensive clothing brands. However, clothing with fewer brand logos, more basics, loose flowy blouses, gold jewelry, and linen symbolizes a more sophisticated, expensive style.
Hi my name is Hadley, and I'm a Sophomore. When I'm not writing for Her Campus I'm usually reading, hanging out with friends, or binge watching TV shows on Netflix