This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The health and wellness world has been obsessed with green juices, health shots, and supplements of all kinds for some time now. I’m pretty interested in how I can take care of myself in a way that is genuine but also sustainable. This obsession with health juices has never quite resonated with me, and I’ve remained skeptical of its benefits. With this being said, I never really explored the legitimacy of juices, and I don’t think most people have. I always see numerous influencers boasting about how they have celery juice every single morning, or take a ginger turmeric shot that keeps them from ever getting sick. What I’ve never been sure of however, is if these people genuinely find these products helpful, or if it’s just another health gimmick and scam.

It’s obviously agreed that fruits and vegetables are vital to our bodies, and a balanced diet is important to one’s quality of life. Greens are specifically important, and the darker in color, the better it is for you. Some of the “health” juices you may find at the supermarket have added sugar and less actual greens/vegetables than marketed. Juices like these aren’t beneficial, although it makes sense why companies sweeten their products: liquid greens are bitter and typically tough to get down. Doctors seem to have a somewhat neutral stance on green juices, and agree they can be done right and wrong ways. Dr. David Katz, the director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center, says, “It is better to eat than to drink veggies and fruits, but it is better to drink them than not to have them at all.” 

Green juices may actually be helpful for many Americans, because most of us don’t actually eat enough vegetables and greens in our everyday lives. However, it is important to note there are some differences between eating and drinking your veggies. First, green juices have a lot less fiber than actual vegetables. For people with liver and kidney issues, juices have been found to sometimes worsen their condition. Additionally, all doctors agree that any sort of juice cleanse or detox is undeniably horrible for you. Going days or sometimes weeks without eating can seriously harm your body and create dangerous habits. Green juices can be helpful for people who like to take care of themselves, but sometimes struggle to meet their vegetable and greens intake. It can be a good addition to one’s diet, not a substitution.

Aine Hoye

Emmanuel '25

Aine is the editor of Emmanuel College's Her Campus chapter. She's an English major, and loves reading in her free time. HC has been a huge part of her life since her first year of college, and she's loved every minute!