Life > Experiences

An Extremely Biased Ratings of the Best Food at Tatte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Last week I wrote an article about my favorite places to get dinner in the Fenway area. I did not include Tatte because for a while they didn’t serve dinner. But, I found out recently that they do again! So, I am dedicating a whole article to my favorites from Tatte. It’s the least I can do. 

1. The Prosciutto & Fig Panini

It’s got prosciutto and fig. It’s got pears. It’s got BRIE CHEESE! It’s the best sandwich I’ve ever had in my life. It deserves awards. It deserves a Michelin star.  I have fought a squirrel in Boston Common for this sandwich. I would fight a million squirrels for this sandwich. Sometimes they undercook it but that can be forgiven. 

2. The BLAT

It hurts my mouth with its sharp sharp toasted challah bread and onion-tomato acidity but it is worth it. Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, Tomato, a wonderful combo when you’re in the mood for something classic. The tomato isn’t tomato slices, it’s a tomato and onion relish type of thing, and so it solves my biggest problem with a classic BLT (the tomatoes sliding out when I take a bite). Overall, just a good classic sandwich. 

3. Smoked Salmon, Avocado, and Egg Sandwich

This is a breakfast sandwich, but I would order it any time of day. I am a fiend for smoked salmon, capers, and red onion so adding egg, herb dressing, and alfalfa sprouts just earns it bonus points in my heart. It’s such a great, filling sandwich in the morning or whenever you’ve got a craving for the salty, umami flavor of salmon and capers (what? That’s just me? Oh. Okay). 

4. Bread and Butter

Life’s simplest food is one of life’s greatest pleasures. For six dollars you get six half-slices of fresh baked bread that’s been toasted on a griddle plus butter and homemade strawberry jam. You get challah, sourdough, and multigrain, and trying them each with simply butter or with jam added is just delightful. Even though I had to step in a pot hole and almost get hit by a bicycle to retrieve my precious Tatte, I still feel like I’m living in a cottage in the woods when I’m eating this. The acidity of the jam kind of hurts my mouth after eating toasty bread (yeah, yeah, I have a sensitive mouth, okay?), it tastes too good for me to care. I will always love bread and butter. I will always worship Bread and Butter from Tatte. 

5. All the baked goods

Chocolate croissant. Mini monkey bread. The absolute thickest piece of lemon loaf you’ve ever had in your life. Brownies with halva on them. Flaky. Ass. Biscuits. Tatte is a bakery at heart, and I love their fresh pastries with so much of my soul. Their sandwiches are all on fresh bread. Their challah is amazing. To get such a great sandwich and to be able to get such a good treat to go with it? That’s what life is all about. The treat with the sandwich. 

Is there any quantitative reason that these aforementioned items are the best at Tatte? No. I’m sure many would disagree with me, especially anyone who’s vegan or dislikes smoked salmon (which I, personally, cannot understand). But after inadvertently leaving Tatte out of my last article, this is my problem to fix, and so it is my opinion that reigns supreme. Thank you for coming to my Tatte Talk.   

Sarah Revis

Emmanuel '23

Sarah is a senior English Communications major at Emmanuel College. She enjoys reading, embroidery, baking, and listening to an unreasonable amount of folk rock.