Albums I’ll Be Shuffling to Get Me through Finals’ Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The week of finals is never a fun one for me. With the stress of exams looming over me each day I often find myself struggling to stay afloat. Whether I am using an album as background music, or as an escape from the daunting task of studying, I have found that listening to good music can make finals’ week a little more bearable.

Here are some of the albums I will be shuffling to get me through to the end of the semester:

Give Me a Minute– Lizzy McAlpine

A friend of mine introduced me to this album a few months ago and I have been hooked ever since. The album emits a calm and soothing vibe. I have spent multiple days solely shuffling this album, and I have yet to get tired of it. While I seem to have a new favorite song from this album every week, here are some I’ve been loving most recently:

• “Nothing/ Sad N Stuff”
  • “Over-The-Ocean Call (Andrew)”
  • “Headstones and Land Mines”

Fine Line– Harry Styles

You can never go wrong with Harry Styles. Any time I play Fine Line, the album, I find myself in a better mood immediately. It is exceptionally comforting and uplifting and always an accessible means of alleviating some stress. I find it difficult to pick favorites from this album, as I absolutely love every song, but here are some that stand out to me:

• “Fine Line”
  • “Cherry”
  • “Canyon Moon”

Red (Taylor’s Version)– Taylor Swift 

Red (Taylor’s Version), could not have come at a better time. It matches the vibe of the season and makes me feel as though everything is as it should be. The songs on this album make me feel so comfortable and nostalgic. “All Too Well (Ten Minute Version)” always makes time go by faster. I think this album provides a good mix of songs that you can listen to while you study and songs that you have to take a break and jam out to. My favorites include:

•  “All Too Well (Ten Minute Version)”
  • “The Lucky One” 
  • “Nothing New”

This Is What It Feels Like– Gracie Abrams 

I have been so excited for the release of this album for so long and Gracie Abrams did not disappoint. The album explores and evokes so many emotions and is incredibly relatable. I think it has helped me to embrace my own emotions that have come along with this semester coming to a close. Gracie’s serene tone and laid-back vibe help me to ease up when I find myself stressed out. While I am so in love with every song on this album, here are my current favorites: 

• “For Real This Time”
  • “Augusta”
  • “Wishful Thinking”

Lady Jesus– UPSAHL

I was recently introduced to UPSAHL when she opened up for Olivia O’Brien on tour and quickly realized that I have been missing out on her music for too long. Lady Jesus, the album, is high energy and the lyrics are so relatable. Every time I shuffle this album, I immediately feel like a badass and experience a boost of motivation. This album is probably best suited for a study break, as I find it hard to sit still while listening to it. Here are some of my favorites off the album:

• “Time of My Life”
  • “Lady Jesus”
  • “Thriving” 

I have been loving these albums and I hope you check them out if you have not already! Best of luck on finals and remember if you find yourself stressed or unable to focus, a good album can make everything better. 

Ariana Yany

Emmanuel '23

Hi! I’m Ariana, a sophomore at Emmanuel College. My major is Art Therapy. I love music, art, and pretty much anything that allows for creativity. I also enjoy coffee, traveling, and shopping.