This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Other than fall, winter is definitely one of my favorite seasons to experience while living in New England. I love being able to wear cozy sweaters, long coats, tall boots and cute winter hats. There are many festivities to love about the holidays like cookie decorating, hot chocolate, going out in the snow, putting up the decorations, gift shopping and special holiday events. My personal favorite is binging all of the holiday movies during the season; there is nothing like sitting snuggled on the couch drenched in blankets while holding a mug of hot chocolate! To kick off and get into the spirit I will be sharing some of my favorite films to watch to help you get a start!

The Polar Express (2004)

Out of all of them, The Polar Express is hands down my favorite Christmas movie when it comes to the holidays. For those of you who have not seen the film, it begins with this boy who has doubts in the belief of Santa and the North Pole. The kid then embarks into the trip on the Polar Express where it changes everything he thought and emphasises the importance of believing in the Christmas spirit. It is just so magical and emulates major nostalgia from the music to the whole plot. Sometimes I wish I could use a time machine to go back in time to watch it again before I grew up, it was different back then. The movie is very chaotic, but ultimately heartwarming by the friendships formed, evolution of the characters and motifs of believing in Christmas. I love the quote “Seeing is believing, but, sometimes, the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see.”- The Conductor. So if you have not seen The Polar Express or are looking for a movie to rewatch for the holidays this is definitely one to add to your list!

The Santa Clause Movies (1994)

These movies are just iconic. What makes them great is that there are three films, so there is plenty to watch. Tim Allen as Santa Clause, the North Pole village, the reindeers and the elfs are just great. It is just so comical with Charlie and everyone back home not knowing about the truth about Scott (Tim Allen) as it all unfolds. I always wished that the  North Pole was real and wanted to go to the workshop so badly, it seemed so fun. I loved how the movie also had the other mythical beings like the Tooth Fairy, Jack Frost, Father Time and Mother Nature to name a few. This one always brings me back to my childhood—it’s too good!

Home Alone (1990)

This one is just too good. I know that it is a movie, but how does a parent forget their kid not once but twice. I always found it so funny how he was so happy to be home alone and getting left behind, I totally would have been freaking out. Other than that Kevin McCallister is just a genius with the plans and traps that he devises for the robbers. I love the scene when he is watching the movie and is just sitting there indulging in the giant bowl of ice cream, that seemed like the life lol. At the end, Kevin is reunited with his family and the robbers get caught. The second movie takes place in New York City where the robbers show up again while Kevin comes up with another plan. What makes this movie so good is the fact that Kevin is a kid that orchestrates all of this and how his family reacts. Home Alone is definitely the film to watch if you want more laughs and craziness. 

Elf (2003)

Elf is another iconic Christmas movie! I love when Buddy decorates the department store with tons of decorations and the chaos that follows. The scenes with his dad are sad, but also so funny. I still can’t get over the spaghetti meal that he makes for his family one night that is doused in syrup and candy, a complete sugar overload. I don’t know how good it would be, maybe not the best you could try making it to eat while watching to be even more on theme. For those that want to try it here’s a recipe! I also love how Buddy acts in the human world and his reactions are just so funny. With the laughs it is also heartwarming because Buddy and his half-brother end up saving Christmas by making people believe and help Santa. Elf is perfect for a mix of comedy and still having the Christmas cheer come across! 

Unaccompanied Minors (2006)

For those of you that do not remember this one, it is about a bunch of kids traveling for the holidays that get trapped in an airport due to a snowstorm and find ways to make the wait interesting. The main characters are first put in this room with a ton of other unaccompanied minors where they eventually escape the overcrowded room many times as the film progresses. After the first escape, the rest of the kids are brought to a lodge to wait out the storm as the airport is closed while those kids are to stay there as punishment for their escape. The plans and tricks that these kids come up with are hilarious, at one point they mess with the cameras to escape and are then sledding down a mountain in a canoe to get away from the airport security. It is quite entertaining, and such a funny movie but cute at the same time. All of these kids go from being complete strangers in the beginning to close friends at the end. It can be watched on Netflix!

The Ultimate Christmas Present (2000)

This movie is a big throwback that features young Brenda Song and Hallee Hirsh! It starts off by the two teens stealing a magical weather machine from a cabin and using it to have there be snow in LA which results in the disaster of a giant blizzard that goes down the coast of California. Little do they know that the machine belongs to Santa. Honestly I don’t blame them for doing this, I would want to do it too if I lived in California and never got snow. Hirsh’s character’s dad ends up getting snowed in while in San Francisco and a weatherman wants to steal the machine to gain more publicity. Santa eventually comes with his elves to stop the mess and save Christmas. I have not seen this one in a while, so I will for sure be watching this one soon! It can be seen on Disney+ and Amazon!

Holidate (2020)

This is a newer movie that features Emma Roberts and Luke Bracey! Roberts comes home for the holidays and does not want to go to the Christmas celebration without a date. Bracey is on the same page so they decide to be eachothers plus ones so that they have someone to bring, but end up falling for eachother. There are points where it is a bit rocky and a little cringy, but definitely funny. The movie shows what it is like being single during the holidays and how there is always a chance at finding love. It has its laughs and cute moments that make it fun. If you love rom-coms and Christmas films this is a great watch! Feel free to view it on Netflix!

3No matter which holiday movie you choose to watch, one of these will for sure get you into the spirit! There are many more than the ones I listed too, these are just my personal favorites and go-to’s. Some that I still need to check out are The Holiday (2006), It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) and White Christmas (1954). Along with watching holiday films, it is important to just focus on self-care and do what makes you happy while being on break. See your friends, relax at home, sleep in and eat delicious food! Focusing on yourself and your mental health during this time is needed more than ever; we all went through so much this semester adjusting to a somewhat normal school year. I can honestly admit that it has been far from easy for me, but I am trying my best. As long as you do that you are winning every day, it does not matter what the outcomes are as long as we try. While you unwind from this past long semester, watch your favorite holiday movie or whatever it is that you love; take it easy on yourself!

Hi my name is Karly and I am in my Senior Year at Emmanuel College. I am studying Communications with a Minor in Marketing and Writing. I plan to someday work in marketing and live in Boston. In my free time I love to walk around the city, read, get coffee, see my friends and family. For a fun fact, I have my Cosmetology License!