5 Sweet Last Minute Activities to Do on Valentine’s Day if You’re in a Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Valentine’s season can be really hard when you are dating long distance. The season of love without the person you love can be sad and frustrating. However, as the famous quote says, “Love will always prevail!” There are still so many activities that you can do if you are in a LDR that will make your Valentine’s Day just as special.

1. Watch a movie.

Since COVID, so many great sites and companies have started up that allow you to watch a movie with someone miles away in real time. The one that I have found works best is Teleparty (formerly Netflix Party), which lets you watch movies from a wide array of streaming services: Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, Hulu, and many more! Settling down in comfy clothes, making popcorn or bringing candy, and being able to laugh (or cry) at your favorite movie together makes the distance feel insignificant.

1. Plan your next visit.

When it can be hard for you to see your partner, talking to them about when you will see them next can be a great pastime. Whether it be planning a fun itinerary for when they come to you or you go to them, or fully planning a trip (costs, tickets, etc.), it can make it feel as if you are one step closer to being with them again. Having a plan with your partner to look forward to can make the distance and time feel much less daunting.

1. Cook/eat the same food over the phone.

One of the most common in-person dates is going out to dinner. Now, just make it virtual! Either going to the same restaurant chain and ordering your favorite meals to eat on Facetime/Zoom, or cooking your own versions of the same recipe is a fun and engaging virtual date. Once the food is ready, sit down and eat together! Great conversations happen over dinner, and there is no reason why it can’t happen virtually. Bon Appetit!

1. Send your partner a care package.

Since you can’t give gifts in person, a great way to show your appreciation and get into the Valentine’s Day spirit is by creating a care package for your partner. Fill a basket or box with all of the things your S/O loves, like certain foods, gift cards, or clothes! Once it is all decorated and ready to be shipped, it will be a great gift that your partner will appreciate.

1. Send a Valentine’s Day gift.

Almost like the previous one, you can send a package full of Valentine’s themed gifts. This can be a cheaper alternative especially since you can get chocolate and candy for a small amount of money at discount stores. This can also be a time to bust out a craft you have been meaning to work on, and make decorations like flowers or hearts to seal the gift together. Valentine’s Day is supposed to be cheesy, and embracing the clichés in this heartfelt gift will make it so memorable.

There are still so many ways for your love to flourish even with the distance, and Valentine’s season is the time to embrace that! While it’s still tough for all those LDR’s out there, there is still so much TLC to go around no matter how far you are from each other.

Isabella is a first-year Accounting major and Economics minor at Emmanuel College. She loves finding new music, shopping, and laughing with friends and family.