This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I think there are many ways for outfits to be fashionable, but it all depends on which style you admire. I relish going through different articles and magazines to find an outfit either for me or someone else. I recommend the following three fashion trends below. Perhaps, trends have followed the pattern of mixing style and comfort, and new and old. We begin to notice comfort over style. For example, Princess Diana sometimes wore bike shorts when she went out.

Hoodies Under Blazers

Hoodies under blazers is the way to go because of how stylish it is. Although blazers are not anything new, hoodies under blazers can be. I like it because it keeps me warm from the chilly weather. Because of the layering of the sweatshirt and blazer jacket, the sweatshirt acts as an extra layer. I find this works well for people who like to layer their clothing and are into different kinds of blazers if they choose to go with a pattern or different material. This look is incredibly versatile; you can wear it to the airport or to a work meeting. And as we head into winter, this type of layering is essential. This is the new generation’s representation of “business casual.”

Wide Leg Pants

Once again, this is not new to fashion; wide leg pants are another way to stay comfy and fashionable. In the 70’s, wide-leg pants were at a peak, but we have seen a reemergence of how they can be styled. For example, baggy pants and a cropped shirt is a great combination. The VOU describes how baggy or loose pants will help people to dress in a way that is comfortable for them. The editor mentions, “Wide-leg pants are back in fashion with a vengeance. An individual can wear them slouchy, loose, extra-long, and even baggy, if you balance them with a slim-fitting top.” Baggy pants equate to comfort, a priority of this year’s fashion, as we’ve noted. The small-top and big bottoms look is easy to follow with wide-leg pants— dressed up or down. 

Power Bohemian Florals

Florals scream summer, but not always, because they don’t have to! Paradoxically, this delicate approach to a floral pattern boldly reclaims femininity with fashion. We’ve seen this pattern on flowy pieces like maxi skirts and bell bottom sleeve-shirts but also trench coats and blazers. Florals do not necessarily mean clothing is feminine: many masculine figures can wear florals as well, which sets it for a diverse set of people.

These styles are highlighted because of the fashion trends I have been wearing this year. VOU highlights them in their 31 Current Fashion Trends. If these are not your style, VOU’s website has a ton of inspiration to look through, which will allow you to expand your wardrobe or try a new look. 

Hannah Le

Emmanuel '24

Hannah Le is a Writing, Editing and Publishing major at Emmanuel College in Boston.